We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike Gandoca Manzanilla without guide?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
578 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Hike Gandoca Manzanilla without guide?

I'm just wondering what are the trails like here. Are they marked? Is it safe to hike the trails with my family of 3, but not with a guide?

I absolutely know the benefits of a guide - telling us all about the flora and fauna, spotting animals we might not see, etc.

What I want to know is can you (are you allowed) do this and is it safe?

To know our background - we live in Colorado and go hiking on a regular basis in the mountains alone.

Thanks,

Nicole

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
13,978 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike Gandoca Manzanilla without guide?

As I remember from 2008, the trails are not marked at all. And it is so easy to lost track in the density of a rain forest. Not to mention one mistake can be fatal. Even our guide has leaned on a tree trunk only to realize that here were a pit viper on the other side. And myself I have benn pushed by my daughter just moments before I would step on a fer-de-lance. So my experience with Gandoca Manzanillo is: take a guide, also for your personal security. OTOH Cahuita NP is easy to navigate, and snakes although plentiful, tends to keep themselves off the beaten path.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
578 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike Gandoca Manzanilla without guide?

Thanks for the advice, Xelas! Makes sense!

Who did you hike Gandoca with?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
13,978 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike Gandoca Manzanilla without guide?

Omar Cook. A very funny guy. It was in 2008. Three years later, in 2011, we have spotted him riding a bicycle with his young daughter in Manzanillo. The fact that we have remembered him means a lot (my face recognition software is already starting to show its mileage :)) . That is him in 2008 https:/…DSC_8036.JPG

and here is how he was in 2011 https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4iexvLFd2QI/UY-RWdGHrdI/AAAAAAAABOs/_fd4PDNGN8I/w600-h903-no/2011-08-18+09.27.34+-+Costa+Rica.JPG . Lucky guy, he didn't changed one bit. Must be the food !!!

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
578 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike Gandoca Manzanilla without guide?

Thanks Xelas - yes, he's the person we were considering using. I have heard a lot of great things about him.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike Gandoca Manzanilla without guide?

Looking forward to our trip in Sept., from what I see and read and please correct me if I'm wrong, the trail around the point seems pretty wide and clear and follows around the ocean. Seen videos of trails with plenty of people walking along unguided including a couple of teenage girls (dumb on their part). I'm more of a water and beach person. Plan on some surf fishing (collapsible rods), snorkeling, and SCUBA. Can't wait to explore that area based out of Congo Bongo. Think we will get plenty of jungle right around the bungalow!

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
578 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hike Gandoca Manzanilla without guide?

Rico - We are also scuba divers! However, our daughter is only 9, so we won't be diving this trip. I hope you see lots of good stuff! I do plan on making posts after we get back. We'll be there in about a week! I can't wait!!!

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hike Gandoca Manzanilla without guide?

There is a trail following the coast line, as long as you stay on this one, you will not have problems. But if you like to go a bit more into the jungle, you should really go with a guide. Wildlife is ok along the coast but of course much better if you head a bit inline. The guides usually make a loop so you get both, the jungle as well as the walk along the coast. I think it is a really nice mix that way.

8. Re: Hike Gandoca Manzanilla without guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 05:16