We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another itinerary question

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Another itinerary question

Hello,I have read and re-read all the info on this forum and it really has been an oracle. I am hoping someone can put me on the right path by giving an honest opinion as my head is about to explode at this stage!

I am in the process of booking a trip to Costa Rica from the 28th December to 15th January. We are coming from Ireland where it is the depth of winter so we really want to escape the freezing cold and enjoy some lovely sun. We had our heart set on spending the New Year period in Puerto Viejo but are really afraid we will be rained on for the whole time we are there, the dream was to spend New Year in the sun on the beach. The original plan was - Pueto Veijo, Tortuguero, La Fortuna/Arenal and then Uvita/Dominical, which does make a lot of sense.

Based on the real possibility of bad weather we have been looking at Playa Samara for New Year and then travelling to Arenal, Tortuguero and then we get stuck..could we realisically fit in Puerto Viejo and then Uvita/Dominical? My head tells me this is too much but my heart really wants to experience the culture of the Caribbean side and coming from Ireland, I don't know if we'll ever make it back to Costa Rica again so want to make the absolute most of it.

We have to spend our first and last night in San Jose due to flight timings so we have 16 nights to play around with. Is there any way we can make this work? I appreciate any advice you can provide. Thank you!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another itinerary question

December can be somewhat rainy on the Caribbean coast - but - you can expect something like 12" of rain for the whole month so it's not like a monsoon. Mostly, it's rain late afternoon.

I would just go with your original itinerary and leave it at that.

costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another itinerary question

If you are set on Tortuguero, then, Puerto Viejo makes more sense. From Tortuguero to the beautiful area of Dominical can be a 10 hour trip by land, I would stick to the Caribbean side this trip

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another itinerary question

Thank you both, I know you are right, 10 hours on the road is crazy.. Living in Ireland makes you obsessed with getting some sun. Tortuguero and Puerto Viejo were the two first places we decided upon and got us excited about Costa Rica in the first place. I will stick to the original plan and finalize the bookings tonight. Feck the rain! Thanks again... Pura Vida!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another itinerary question

"Feck the rain" is right, besides it it rains, it will be a nice warm rain!

Queensbury, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another itinerary question

I will see you there!!! We have the same dates and are staying in the Puerto Viejo area. I'm so excited! It's freezing here in NY too so I'm with you and the heat. The rain looks minimal at that time in that area. I'm manifesting lots of warm and nice weather. Have a great trip!

6. Re: Another itinerary question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 05:17