We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks until PARADISE (Aug 9-18)!!! Final detail ?'s

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
4 weeks until PARADISE (Aug 9-18)!!! Final detail ?'s

After going back and forth...and back again...we have finally confirmed the reservations for our upcoming trip, but there are still a few questions that I just can't find a solid answer to on here...but first, I should probably do a run down of our itinerary that is set in stone to give you an idea...

Flying into SJO on Fri August 9 and our flight lands around 9pm so we will be crashing at Hotel Mi Tierra for the night before being picked up by Exploradores and doing a 2-day rafting trip. From there we will be dropped off at Walaba Hostel for 3 nights (Sun-Tues) and are then going to stay at the Mother Dear Cottages for 3 nights (Weds-Fri) before heading back to San Jose on Saturday for another night at Hotel Mi Tierra and flying home at 6:30am on Sunday.

With all of that being said, there are a few things we definitely want to do while we are in PV/PU (we are not renting a car).

-snorkeling...both guided hike/snorkel in Cahuita NP (is it worth doing a boat/snorkel/hike trip as opposed to hiking in, snorkeling, then hiking out?) AND combined with a 1/2 day of fishing with Wahoo.

-Hike to a waterfall...I have read good things about Volio, are there any others that are better for swimming or more scenic? I am sold on Abel Bustamante as our guide from other reviews/recs.

-Visit the Jaguar Rescue (would it be possible to bike here from either of our hotels? Will the bikes be safe unattended while we are inside?)

-Maybe visit Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate...if we have a couple of hours to kill one day..???

-But mostly we are looking forward to renting bikes and exploring the area and soaking up as much of the laidback friendly lifestyle that I have read so much about! We want to leave Puerto Viejo feeling like we have experienced everything to the fullest, while having a few things scheduled out, but mostly going with the flow and be able to connect with the locals and their way of life.

One last question...call me crazy, but I have always wanted to jump off of a bridge (bungee jump that is)! There is a place outside of San Jose called Tropical Bungee that seems to be perfect...the only down side is that we would have to leave PV at 6am on Saturday to get there in time for the 1pm pickup from our hotel. :( I feel like I would be missing a whole day in PV if we did that, and it already makes me sad...is it worth it?? Are there any bungee places around PV that you can jump from a bridge (not one of those man-made steel towers). I can't find anything about one, but figured I shouldn't count it out until I ask on here!

Sorry this was so long, I hope I didn't forget anything! Thank you in advance for your responses/advice!

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 weeks until PARADISE (Aug 9-18)!!! Final detail ?'s

Bad news first, no bunjee jumping around here ans snorkelling will depends on conditions, after some rain the visibility is poor. I don't know Walaba but you will love Mother Dear and your hosts Jimmy and Debbie. Bikes are everywhere and will be fine at Jaguar and yes you can easily go on your own. Abel is great so go with him. Also Caribeans is worth a visit, they now have also a cafe by OM Yoga, just before Cocles beach. I am sure you'll have a great time!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 weeks until PARADISE (Aug 9-18)!!! Final detail ?'s

But on the up side, Tropical Bungee has a great reputation and once you have been to the Caribbean, you'll be back! Volio is great, but the back of beyond. You can get the public bus to Bri Bri and then on to Vollio from there or book with Abel. You might get lucky with the snorkeling as September is usually the calm month of the year, but don't book anything until you get here! The National Park in Cahuita is worth a visit whether you can snorkel or not. Have a wonderful time!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 weeks until PARADISE (Aug 9-18)!!! Final detail ?'s

Take the bus from Puerto Viejo to Cahuita, and enter the park from Cahuita village (entry is on donation, I've donated 10US$ for two; on Puerto Vargas side, the entry fee is 10 US$ pp). Do snorkeling only with a guide; if conditions will be OK during your visit then getting a guide and a boat is easy; if conditions will be bad then just hike the entire trail and exit on Puerto Vargas side. Catch a bus there to Puerto Viejo. There are several fantastic secluded beach spots, but do not get close to the reef, and do not attempt to snorkel. Just enjoy the solitude and the colors.

Personally I would skip the bungee jump. There are many bridges in the world that allows you doing this, but only a few places as interesting as Puerto Viejo and surrounding area. With a limited timing, every hour counts!

Edited: 11 July 2013, 11:14
Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 weeks until PARADISE (Aug 9-18)!!! Final detail ?'s

Thank you for your replies. I think we will pass on the bungee jumping until next time since it doesn't fit into our schedule at all. We were also thinking about getting our scuba cert. before heading out there, but haven't heard anything incredible about scuba diving in that area. Has anybody been diving in PV? Any votes one way or the other? My boyfriend gets bored easily so I am trying to find things to keep us busy just in case we need them :)

Also, I have read that the ATM's are hit or miss around town but I don't want to bring all cash and then have to carry it around with us, does anyone know if Walaba or Mother Dear have safes in the room or somewhere secure to store our passports and cash??

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 weeks until PARADISE (Aug 9-18)!!! Final detail ?'s

There are certainly better and cheaper places to dive, such as the Bay Islands off Honduras. The ATM situation in PV is pretty good as there are is more than one bank. The one ATM in Cahuita is almost always empty or out of order by Sunday morning so it may be worthwhile to stock up on cash on a Saturday. Certainly better not to have lots of cash if you can avoid it.

6. Re: 4 weeks until PARADISE (Aug 9-18)!!! Final detail ?'s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 06:18