We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public bus from San Jose to PV

Minnesota
Level Contributor
323 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Public bus from San Jose to PV

Does the bus have room for luggage? If so where is it stored and do you have to worry about someone stealing it like on some other public buses?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public bus from San Jose to PV

The buses all have a baggage storage area under them, the direct bus only makes a couple of schedule stops , so you don't have to worry too much. Keep all your important possessions with you at all times.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public bus from San Jose to PV

I have had guests take public bus for over 6 years now and I can only recall 1 incident of a theft. Too bad I could not say same about airlines.

But Cubanon is right. Keep your important stuff with you. However, any good thief knows that the carry on is where the good stuff is. They know the bags underneath the bus have little value. Take reasonable precautions and you will be fine. The public bus is a perfectly acceptable way to travel here. And the best part is it is very affordable and leaves you money to do other things.

Cheers, Colin.

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public bus from San Jose to PV

That bus line is known for its abundance of theft.

It will stop for a bathroom break in Limon. Someone on the bus waits for everybody else to get off, then grabs a bag that someone left in the overhead racks. They jump off the bus quick and right into the waiting getaway car that meets them at the stop.

If the bag is stored underneath, watch at the previous stops to make sure someone did not unload your bag with theirs. Common practice. Pura Vida!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,200 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public bus from San Jose to PV

I really did not know about the ABUNDANCE of thefts...of course common sense...but never as somebody is trying to portrayed the situation... if you tell the same sory every time once you heard that or read that many times,,,it will look like is a common practice....please do not listen to negative thoughts...and once again common sense...form some reason some people looking for the 3 seconds of fame love to put down almost everything around our country...reason???

roadadcisor

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public bus from San Jose to PV

I've been riding the bus for many years around Costa Rica, never once have heard of anything being stolen on my trips. Like I said before, your bags in the undercarriage should be safe, the bus only stops in Limon for a quick bathroom brake, then drops passengers in Cahuita, and finally in Puerto, unless is the one bus that goes to Manzanillo. If you keep your important stuff with you at all times, you will have no problems. Have a great trip!

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public bus from San Jose to PV

I have seen people near tears after getting back on the bus and seeing their bag gone.

Note of caution : Always be careful with your luggage when travelling by bus, if you store your luggage below the bus, as there have been reported cases of bag theft, especially on routes to Limón

puravidaguide.com/costa-rica-bus-information…

…blogspot.com/2009/04/theft-on-buses-in-cost…

This top compartment has also been known to attract passengers to casually walk off the bus with someones bags. If you do any research at all on bus crime you will find that this is a huge problem in Costa Rica. DO NOT fall asleep on those long bus rides and expect to wake up to your bags in the same place! DO NOT read a book or look out the window the whole time and expect your bags to be in the same place! KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR THINGS!! - See more at: costaricaunplugged.com/…sthash.r70OAimP.dpuf

costaricaunplugged.com/theft-and-crime-on-th…

Additionally beware of pickpockets and luggage theft. When using a public bus to tour, make sure you travel light since space is nearly always an issue, and also because it will be much easier for you to keep track of your baggage.

govisitcostarica.com/category/transportation…

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

nicoyapeninsula.com/general/thieves.php

http://www.travelcostaricanow.com/index.php/Theft_and_You_(a_must_read)

There was actually a gang a couple of months ago that would arm robbed the buses to Alajuela. They would get on the bus, and then when the bus got on the highway, they would pull guns and rob everybody.

To suggest that because it has not happened to you, means it does not happen with frequency would be false.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,200 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public bus from San Jose to PV

Thank you for the tips...they work great at almost any country around the world today!l

The gang issue...is hrere or Chicago...Miami?...Los Angeles...Mexico?? ...Vancouver??

roadadvcisor

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public bus from San Jose to PV

I worry as much using public transportation around LA, as I do in Costa Rica. If you bring large luggage/back pack you'll have to put it under bus, no exceptions. For your valuable items, ie. money passport, electronic equipment, keep it on you at all time in small day pack. It really is the only way to travel safely anywhere in the world, don't let anyone scare you.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public bus from San Jose to PV

Why was the thief able to steal a small backpack off the bus? Because the owner of the bag left it there! If no bags were left behind, nothing would be there to be stolen. I have been travelling by bus all over Central America including Costa Rica and I have not had once a problem with stealing my bag or belongings. Ok, one could say I was lucky but mostly I did not have anything stolen because I used common sense and took care of my stuff!

Do not leave your luggage (especially the small backpack you carry with you) unattended and you will be all fine! It is that simple.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public bus from San Jose to PV

I have been on that bus many times and I have guests using that bus and I have many friends here in Puerto Viejo using that bus. On this line I have not heard or experienced any problems. That does not mean it has not happened or cannot happen but chances are very slim.