We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travleing to Puerto Viejo and Bocas Del Toro in Oct.

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Topic
Travleing to Puerto Viejo and Bocas Del Toro in Oct.

Hello! I am going on my honey moon in early October. We are starting in Puerto Viejo then going to Bocas Del Toro. And then ending up in San Jose for one night before we fly out.

Can anyone give me any suggestions. Great local bars, food, things to do?

Also has anyone been there during this time? What should I expect for weather?

Some websites say to expect a lot of rain. Other say that there is minimal rain on the caribbean side.

Thank you! Any sort of tip is very helpful!!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Cafe Rico
££ - £££, Cafe, European, Costa Rican
Port Vell
£, International, Spanish, Healthy
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travleing to Puerto Viejo and Bocas Del Toro in Oct.

Not really my area so I will let the experts from over that way answer your questions on bars, restaurants, etc...

I will chime in to say that the weather should be good. I have only ever visited the area in October and each time was awesome. Didn't have any rain on any of the 5 or so excursions I have done over that way so you should do fine.

I would visit the Jaguar Rescue Center or the Sloth Sanctuary, both well worth a visit. More will chime in on the area.

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travleing to Puerto Viejo and Bocas Del Toro in Oct.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travleing to Puerto Viejo and Bocas Del Toro in Oct.

Early October weather is usually very sunny here and waters are very calm. Not good for surfing, but some the most ideal time for snorkelling. It's minimal rain that time of year.

Bars & Restaurants?? My Favs are Stachu's, Koki Beach, & Bread & Chocolate & Dreadnut. They are reviewed here. It really depends on your budget. Koki is a great place to have drinks and engage in street watching. It is also right across from the beach.

Caribe Shuttle is one the most reliable ways to get to Bocas. But, if you are on a budget, you can also do public bus.

Congrats on your Honeymoon!!

Mentioned in this post
KOKi Beach Restaurant & Bar
KOKi Beach Restaurant...
1,620 Reviews
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Caribe Shuttle
Caribe Shuttle
235 Reviews
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travleing to Puerto Viejo and Bocas Del Toro in Oct.

Congratulations! Expect hot sunny days, little or no rain, and calm seas, perfect for swimming and snorkeling.

Most of the bars and restaurants will be in town in Puerto Viejo, make sure you take a taxi in the evening. for a more romantic dinner, my favorites restaurants are not in town proper, Pecora Nera in Colcles area, Jungle Love and Malbec in Playa Chiquita, and El Refugio Grill in Punta Uva, make sure you call and make reservations, some are small and have limited seating. Lots of good local food in the area, Selvin's( a must visit for Rondon on weekends), Soda Johana, Lidia's, Tamara's, For a special treat visit Pita Bonita for Middle Easter/Israeli food, great people running it and excellent food.

Mentioned in this post
La Pecora Nera
La Pecora Nera
767 Reviews
Cocles, Costa Rica
Playa Chiquita
Playa Chiquita
351 Reviews
El Refugio Grill
El Refugio Grill
470 Reviews
Punta Uva
Punta Uva
Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travleing to Puerto Viejo and Bocas Del Toro in Oct.

Thank you! These all look great! And great reviews! Adding them to my list of to do's!

Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
579 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travleing to Puerto Viejo and Bocas Del Toro in Oct.

Congrats. We were there last October and the weather couldn't be any better. Hot and sunny during the day and shower at night to cool everything

DO rent a bicycle and you can go from Puerto Viejo to Punta Uva in 20-30 mins.

Pita Bonita was our favourite. We had lunch there twice. In PV there's a soda called Lidia's Place, recommended by our local guide. They serve good Caribbean food. Selvyn's is famous for their rondon. They're only opened Fri, Sat and Sundays.

Bring a couple of small microfiber towels. They're light weighted. We used them instead of paper for sweat, washed them in the evening and they were dry the next day.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Uva
Punta Uva
Restaurante Lidia's Place
Restaurante Lidia's Place
552 Reviews
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
7. Re: Travleing to Puerto Viejo and Bocas Del Toro in Oct.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...