We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Viejo centre vs Cocles

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Puerto Viejo centre vs Cocles

Where would you recommend staying for a solo female traveller? I have been looking at either staying at Hospedaje Vista Verde in the centre or at OM yoga hostel near Cocles. Is there much in the latter area? I don't want to be too far away from activities/restaurants/bars.

Thanks!

Caribesur
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Viejo centre vs Cocles

If you want to stay close to bars, restaurants, shopping and nightlife Puerto Viejo might be better for you and Cocles beach is only a 10 min bike ride for you to go to the beach during the day. There are plenty of restaurants in Cocles too but obviously there are more options in town. Take cabs at night if you decide to stay outside town since the roads aren't too well lit

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Viejo centre vs Cocles

Thank you! It might be better if I stay in the town as I don't want to travel alone at night.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Viejo centre vs Cocles

As a single traveler, especially if you plan to go out at night, I would stay in town. I did when I first visited Puerto Viejo and I enjoyed it. As Kokibeach already mentioned, it is not far to go to Cocles beach during the day. Just rent a bike or take a taxi.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Viejo centre vs Cocles

Pagalu Hostel is very popular and very well run. Check out the reviews.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Viejo centre vs Cocles

Wise advice! Staying in town will save you on taxi fares to go out at night and will probably make it easier to meet other travelers (if that's what you are looking for).

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Viejo centre vs Cocles

Thank you all! I have decided to stay in town. I have heard a lot of good things about Pagalu Hostel but my concern is as I will be arriving just after New Year, it will probably be very busy and they don't take reservations, so I guess it would be advisable to pre-book somewhere that did?

Edited: 22 October 2013, 09:57
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Viejo centre vs Cocles

There is no shortage of places to stay in PV. Maybe research a number of possibilities and if your first choice is full move on.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Viejo centre vs Cocles

I can highly recommend Cabinas Guarana. They take reservations, have simple but vety nice and clean rooms. It is all set up nicely around gardens and there is a common area with shared kitchen.

9. Re: Puerto Viejo centre vs Cocles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 05:19