We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

St. Louis
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay

Two young forty something single girls needing advice on accommodations. Leaning towards Banana Azul or Cariblue. We like the beach (for swimming), bars/restaurants for the evenings. Which is a better location. Not sure if we will have our own transportation yet or not. If we stay north, is it easy to get taxis to and from the the beaches down south? I assume it is not a problem getting transportation at night to and from places. Any advice appreciated.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
331 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

I don't know about Criblue, but I stayed at Banana Azul with some friends in 2010.

We really liked the place. Front beach. Nice location. I recommend it.

Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

I'd pick Banana Azul north of town on Playa Negra. They have a restaurant onsite, beach chairs and a welcoming attitude with good service. You can walk into town during the day. Easy to get taxis at night from either location. Be sure and rent bikes and explore the beaches south down to Punta Uva at least one day. The pool at Cariblue is larger but who wants to swim in a pool when the beautiful Caribbean is right outside your door.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
331 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

I don't know about Criblue, but I stayed at Banana Azul with some friends in 2010.

We really liked the place. Front beach. Nice location. I recommend it.

Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,427 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

Check Korrigans Lodge or Gecko Lodge...two of the really the best places in that part of our country!

roadadvisor

St. Louis
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

Cfran, how far on a bike is it to Punta Uva from the Playa Negra? If we went by taxi is it possible to flag one down or are there places nearby that can call for a taxi to pick us up in necessary? Thanks

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

The Bike ride from Playa Negra can take you one hour or more depending on where in Playa Negra you stay, and how fast you ride. Maybe staying in Cocles might put you more centrally located to town and points South. I like Costa de Papito in Cocles, no swimming pool, but as crfan mentioned, you have a giant and warm pool, called the Caribbean.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay

It takes about 30 - 35 min to get from Playa Negra to Punta Uva. Not sure Cubanon when you where in PV area last time but these days the streets are good and even I, with a baby on the back of my bike, do it in 35 min.

If you want to take a taxi it takes like 15 - 20 min to get there, so not a big deal. You can ask almost any restaurant and they will call you a taxi, no worries.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay

I guess i'm not in Caribbean shape. I was riding fast on a mountain bike for a meeting in Punta Uva after withdrawing money from the bank in Puerto Viejo proper, it took me 30 minutes. the roads were in good shape from Cocles down to Punta Uva.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay

Cubanon, you have to get a Banana bike then - jajajaja :o)

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay

Pura Vida!

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...