We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay only in PV or other towns?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
stay only in PV or other towns?

Hello,

We are going to the Caribbean coast for the first time in the second week of January, starting in Tortuguero for 2 nights and then heading down toward Puerto Viejo. We have 5 nights to spend in that area and I am wondering if we should spend all 5 nights in PV and visit other towns/parks/beaches for the day, or if it is better to spend a couple of nights in another town (Cahuita perhaps or Punta Uva?) We don't like to complicate things unnecessarily and be moving around all the time, and we are definitely looking mainly to relax (so would not want to spend one night in 5 places, for example), but it might be worth it to locate in a 3rd place too.

Thanks for any advice!

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
809 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay only in PV or other towns?

Also going to Tortuguero and then PV and then a couple nights in Bocas Del Toro (which you might also consider) before flying back to San Jose and shuttling to Manual Antonio.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,789 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay only in PV or other towns?

Punta Uva is not a town, just a cluster of houses. From my experiences, stay or in Puerto Viejo or in Cahuita for all 5 nights. It is easy to take a bus for a day at Cahuita and its NP. Same for going to Manzanillo. Punta Uva is reachable by bike or bus.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay only in PV or other towns?

Hi There!

Puerto Viejo is a great little town with lots of action. You may consider staying near the beach in Cocles or Punta Uva if you want to relax. The beach in Punta Uva is beautiful and relaxing. The beach in Cocles does not offer any real shade and can be rough at times but non the less very beautiful. Both Cocles and Punta Uva have small hotels that you can stay in within walking distance of the beach. Rent bicycles if you want to venture into Puerto Viejo for the day. I hope this helps.

Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
276 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay only in PV or other towns?

You might consider Cahuita for a couple of nights. It is small, walkable and the national park there is wonderful. Much calmer than PV, but with a nice vibe and enough to keep you entertained.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay only in PV or other towns?

I would spend all 5 nights in 1 place and take daytrips to visit Cahuita and Manzanillo. There is plenty to keep you busy in the area around Puerto Viejo and the beaches are always a great way to spend time. For more info on activities check out http://www.puertoviejosatellite.com/tours.php I actually have never stayed in Puerto Viejo but along the beaches south of town where most of the lodging options are located, other than the budget spots. Puerto Viejo has lots of good places to eat and nightlife but is not a particularly attractive town IMO and all the best beaches are outside town.

I also would not bother with Bocas if you only have a day or 2. It takes more than 1/2 day to get to Bocas Town and another 1/2 day to return leaving you no time for a snorkeling trip (There's no snorkeling near town) or a daytrip to visit the most beautiful island - Isla Bastimentos.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay only in PV or other towns?

As others have said, the coast is small enough to base yourself in one place and adventure out daily. Just read up about the different places to decide which would most suit you as a base point. Have a great trip and book soon - it is a busy time of year!

7. Re: stay only in PV or other towns?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:17