We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Parking Lot?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental - Parking Lot?

Hello!

My hubby and I will be renting a car and traveling through Costa Rica in Feb 2014. We plan to land in San Jose and get our rental car. We will then drive to Arenal and from there head down the Caribbean coast.

After spending some time in Puerto Viejo, we plan on taking Caribe Shuttle to Bocas Del Toro for a day or two. We will then return to Puerto Viejo and drive back to San Jose to catch our flight home.

My question is: what do we do with our rental car while we are in Bocas del Toro? Is there a lot we can leave it in somewhere near Puerto Viejo? Would our hotel allow us to leave the car there even though we would have checked out of the hotel and left for Bocas del Toro? Will the car be safe there?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental - Parking Lot?

I would contact your hotel beforehand and arrange this. You don't want to leave a rental vehicle on the street for sure. Either that or arrange for the car company to collect the car and get a shuttle back to San Jose or arrange for the car to be collected in Arenal - it is great to have a car there as everything is spread out and take a rafting trip from Arenal to PV where you can easily get around by bus, taxi and bike.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental - Parking Lot?

I agree with Sara, contact the hotel, many places will not have a problem with keeping your car for some days.

Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental - Parking Lot?

Thank you Sarah F and Geckoes Lodge - greatly appreciated!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental - Parking Lot?

There is a secure car park right at the border in Sixoala. I think I paid $6/day. It is totally guarded and I have parked there a couple times and never have had a problem nor have I heard of any.

All the information is here; puertoviejosatellite.com/transport_bocas.php

There is also a brand new shuttle route with Caribe Shuttle that links from San Jose to Bocas and Bocas to San Jose with a transfer in Puerto Viejo. All the info on that as well is located at this link.

5. Re: Car Rental - Parking Lot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:18