We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food and drink budget

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Food and drink budget

Hi! We're going to be in Costa Rica for 2 weeks in March and are spending the majority of our time in PV. I am trying to get an idea of how much we will need each day for food and drinks. I know that you can do it really cheap by only eating in sodas but we want to have a few nicer meals as well. What is the average price of a meal at a soda? Any recommendations on good ones? Any nice restaurants you recommend, or places to avoid?

Also, what is the price on drinks? How much is a beer? A mixed drink?

Thanks!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food and drink budget

Beer $2-3, mix drinks $3-5. Hit Happy Hours for better deals. At sodas you can get out for less than $10 pp, if you want to splurge at some of the areas finest restaurants with alcohol, you are looking at $75-100 for two people. I like Miss Sam's, Lidia's, Johana,Selvins for local food, El Refugio Grill, Mabec,Pecora Nera,Jungle Love,Cafe Viejo for splurging. Do visit Pita Bonita for excellent Middle Eatern/Israeli food.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 21:47
Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food and drink budget

Sorry, thats Malbec. great Argentine style grilled meats.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food and drink budget

Wednesdays have an all you can eat Asian buffet at Chili Rojo for I think around 12 dollars which is a good deal for PV.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food and drink budget

Restaurants and groceries are going to cost what they do at home. Cheap sodas are on par with fast food prices... again, no real savings realized. Costa Rica is not a budget destination: my humble advice is to ready yourself for the "sticker shock" before you arrive and enjoy the stunning beauty that surrounds you.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food and drink budget

Don't miss Koki Beach, its pricey but worth it for the vibe n views

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food and drink budget

I think the best food deal in PV is the Pizza at Mamma Mia , good thin crust pizza and a really good value compared to most of the other places in PV that make it hard not to spend $15 for a quick meal. I have never figured out how I can stay in a clean decent place for $15 a day and I cant find a quick lunch for under $10.

I also recommend Lazlo's Catch Of The Day for really good fish and Tasty Waves Cantina for some seriously good Fish Tacos ($2 each on Tuesdays)

7. Re: Food and drink budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:16