We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue - Hostel

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue - Hostel

Im going to costa rica for 15 days and am considering heading to puerto viejo first. I dont want to risk getting sick for the rest of my trip. What are the chances of getting dengue or something if staying in a hostel. Also does it rain alot this time of year?

-Dan

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dengue - Hostel

A mosquito can fly up to a mile so the Ministry of Health say, so where you stay might be clean and free of breeding areas and you could still get bitten by a mosquito born the other side of town in an old tire or opened coconut. as others have pointed out, the dengue numbers have dropped, the dengue mosquitoes are day-biters so be covered in repellent during the day and the number of mosquitoes at the moment is way less than it is at other times of the year. Have a relaxing and safe trip!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dengue - Hostel

I just read in the NY Times that my kale smoothies were not as healthy as I thought they were. I have decided to cut back on reading.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dengue - Hostel

Thanks LUVSML...love your nice impartial post...we need more people like you!

roadadvisor

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dengue - Hostel

The ministry of health may say the dengue's mosquito flies up to a mile but reading up on it, the range is much lower; eliminatedengue.com/faqs/…aedes-aegypti or: cdc.gov/dengue/…albopictusfactsheet.pdf

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dengue - Hostel

Thank you Gecko...nice info...and coming from you even better...a local person from Puerto Viejo area that knows the area...the mosquitoes...and even more important that you respect our culture and traditions...once again we wish we have more expats like you!

roadadvisor

16. Re: Dengue - Hostel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 07:20