We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Waterloo, Canada
12 posts
Save Topic
Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

Is JAGUAR Foundation far from Limon?

Which National parks are easy to get to?

Any other recommendations??

Thanks.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

From Limon it is just over one hour by car to the rescue centre and the nearest National Park is Chuita, about 3/4 of an hour. I assume you will be on a cruise ship?

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

Just saw the heading: one week…hmmm, Limon is not really a tourist destination and you may want to look into Tortuguero, Cahuita or Puerto Viejo instead. Tortuguero is great for 2 nights.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,526 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

Naturewhiz, I know (from your other posts) that many have already warned you against staying in or near the town of Limon. I sincerely hope that Limon you are refering to is the name of the province, and that you have chosen either Cahuita, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca or Manzanillo for your one week with nature in Costa Rica! Safe trails!

Waterloo, Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

Thanks. No I am there for 8 nights, will not be hiring a car. Cost and safety are the main factor for me.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

If safety is one of the main factors for you, by all means DO NOT stay in the town of Limon! Please......

Tortuguero, Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva, Cocles, Manzanillo -- any one of these would be 10 times safer than staying in the town of Limon.

Obviously, it is your vacation and you will do as you wish - but - just remember: you have been warned. Do a bit of research before finalizing everything.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

As others have suggested, visit Tortuguero and set up a home base around Puerto Viejo. Limon is a busy port, and business center for the Caribbean Coast. If you want to visit the city, is easy to do in one day, some areas of town are not safe at night.

Waterloo, Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

Thanks everyone for helpful information. Staying at Puerto Viejo. Will definitely try all suggestions.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

Just for the record... I travel to Limon constantly and have for almost 9 years. No, it is not an ideal place for tourists it is a port city and tends to be poor. There are also not many tourist attractions. However, even though it is the crime capital city per capita of Costa Rica, I have yet to experience a problem there. I even take lots of guests when I feel like it to farmers market on Fridays. I love it! So do they.

From my observations, the crime there is mostly directed at drugs and people involved. I have had way more issues in San Jose then I ever have had in Limon.

Please keep in mind, this is my own experience. Mine is based on living in Limon province for 9 years. I would encourage forum readers to pay attention to people that actually live or travel there on a regular basis. I hear there is much crime in Jaco. But because I have only been there a couple of times and have never had a problem, I hardly feel qualified to comment.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

I am complete agreement with Colin over Limon. It gets a terrible slating on this forum, but has a lot of history and culture to offer. For example, the Black Star Line building erected by supporters of black activist, Marcus Garvey, who worked for a return to Africa and a change in attitude for black people towards themselves has been recently returned to its glory days and is a well-known landmark. The market is full of interesting little nooks and crannies selling medicinal plants, clothes and all kinds of mysterious things. And keep eyes open for events such as live music and storytelling, often in English. I too have had more issues with crime in San Jose, although I like that city too, despite the bad reputation it has.

If you are looking for nature and tranquility, then sure miss Limon, but don't dismiss it completely as some hotbed of crime and hostility.

For other activities, I would consider snorkeling, the chocolate tour, waterfall tour, Bri Bri village, iguana farm, dolphin watching, hiking through Cahuita National Park and/or Gandoca/Manzanillo reserve and plenty of relaxing beach time!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best wildlife activities in one week? LIMON.Carribean coast

Well, sadly, the town of Limon IS a "hotbed of crime and hostility." Violent strikes, shootings, drug gangs, robbery -- you only need read the newspaper. Of course, there are a few interesting things there and you will probably be safe -- but if you spend all your time there, you will surely miss the best that the southern Caribbean has to offer.

Glad to hear you have opted for the Puerto Viejo area, Naturewhiz.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 20:42