We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From san jose to puerto viejo

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
From san jose to puerto viejo

I know, old topic. I read all posts here and here is my problem. I arrive at 12.45 pm in san jose by plane and would like to get to san jose on the same day, march 5. Ideally would like to be pocked up by some bus company from the airport and directly to pv. Private cab is not my thing- expensive. By bus- yes, but last resort.

So far contacted 2 carriers for airport pick up and delivered to san jose:

Easy rider- replied 3 days later, want $25 for just them buying me a bus ticket and leaving for me at the airport. Then i would get a cab to the bus station. I am capable of buying ticket myself but wanted other service. Not using them

Gecko trail- good customer service. But, this option is available only with min 2 people booked , $59. Suggested me contacting them once in a while to see maybe others booked. I would think i will need to be contacted. What if i contact them and the bus is already full ... Something wrong here with logistics ;)

What is your experience with them? How did you get to pv by shuttle bus?

Thank you in advance!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From san jose to puerto viejo

You can't have both convenience and low cost if you are a single traveler. You know you can always take the public bus from San Jose. If I were you I'd check back with GeckoTrail a week before your departure and if there's no one else that day headed to PV, take a cab into the bus station and a direct bus to Puerto Viejo. You can find the schedule at www.puertoviejosatellite.com or http://thebusschedule.com/cr/index.php

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From san jose to puerto viejo

Because of the time of day you are landing, your options are limited. You will probably exit the airport terminal around 1:45 pm which means the only shared van shuttle (unless there's one I don't know about) is the one at 3:30 pm from Gecko Trails. As you say, they require a two-person minimum.

So you have several options:

1. Wait and see if someone else wants to use the shuttle at that time on the day you arrive.

2. Rent a car and drive yourself.

3. Take the public bus

4. Spend the night and take the early morning shuttle

And yes, Gecko Trails is very reputable and reliable.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From san jose to puerto viejo

As Hattie says, Gecko Trails is a good company, but if there is only you, then the public bus really would be very straight forward and the cheapest option by a long shot.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,488 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From san jose to puerto viejo

And directo bus is even more comfortable then the shuttle van, at least that were our experiences, The travel time is the same, and if shuttle has to pick up and drop off several cutsomers using it might even take longer then using directo bus.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From san jose to puerto viejo

EasyRide has a horrible reputation here. There is a reason local travel companies do not use them. In the past I have had guests just stranded because they decided to cancel the run.

If cost is the issue, the bus is an absolute better decision then EasyRide.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From san jose to puerto viejo

I will take the bus...nice clean buses most of the time...and of course incredible affordable...stay away from some funny shuttle companies...they offer everything but they do not deliver almost anything!

roadadv isor

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From san jose to puerto viejo

hi guys, thanks for the replies. yes, i guess i cannot have both :) , but i will try. I am still panning to get to PV on the same day and will wait for Gecko friends to get back to me :). if not, i will take a cab to the bus station. Public buses do not scare me, just will be tired from a long flight and i know only a few words in Spanish, so not sure how i am going to explain someone what i need. Plus, it is my first time in Costa Rica. So looks like the public buss is the way to go.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From san jose to puerto viejo

Roman - you really don't need to speak Spanish in order to take the bus. You go to the bus station, buy a ticket and get on the bus. When they stop for a break, you get off with everyone else and take a little break and then get back on the bus. You get off in Puerto Viejo. I've ridden the bus many many times and although I do speak Spanish, it's the rare occasion when I have actually spoken to anyone.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From san jose to puerto viejo

There might be as many as half of the people on the bus who speak no or very little Spanish so the ticket office and bus drivers are more than used to understanding tourists and are usually very patient and helpful. The first part of the journey through the mountains is very curvy and the scenery is wonderful, but you should be able to get a couple of hours nap time after that and get to PV ready to explore and enjoy.

10. Re: From san jose to puerto viejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:27
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...