We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkling in PV or Cahuita?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkling in PV or Cahuita?

We are leaving for Costa Rica in 10 days and are starting to think about what to bring with us. Is there worth while snorkling around Puerto Viejo or Cahuita? If so where? We are spending 5 nights in PV and 3 in Cahuita and will have a rental car. Should we bring our masks and/or fins? I don't mind renting fins, but masks that leak are not fun in salt water. But if the Snorkling is not worth it, we'll leave masks and fins home and travel a bit lighter. Let me know your thoughts.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,299 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkling in PV or Cahuita?

Snorkling is best from the boat around the reefs in Cahuita NP; you will need a guide. Off shore snorkling at the south end of Manzanillo. There is no snorkeling to speak of near Puerto Viejo, however a decent one on the south side of Punta Uva. I would bring the mask and the breather (?), to protect the eyes and the lips from catching unwanted infections.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkling in PV or Cahuita?

No telling what snorkeling conditions will be like when you arrive, I would still bring equipment with you. Xelas is 100% accurate on snorkeling locations.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
89 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkling in PV or Cahuita?

Please explain: to protect the eyes and the lips from catching unwanted infections.

Infections from what?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkling in PV or Cahuita?

I would bring my mask with you, it will probably be better than anything you are going to rent. The snorkeling is not what you might experience in other parts of the Caribbean, but if the weather cooperates, its a fun way to spend a few hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFXuQdBcMeQ

Edited: 11 March 2014, 19:03
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkling in PV or Cahuita?

Thanks for the advice. We'll pack the masks and snorkels.

6. Re: Snorkling in PV or Cahuita?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:18