We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

Hi all. Leaving for CR tomorrow, so excited! Doing Monteverde & Arenal first, then we will be arriving in PV Saturday March 22 and staying until Mar 27.

I have never stayed in a hostel... personally not a huge fan of the idea, but my friend really wants to for the social aspect. She's going to be staying in CR for another 2 weeks after I leave so she is hoping to meet people to continue on with. We compromised and I said I'd give it a go as long as we could get a private room and private bath.

I've taken a look at the reviews on TA & I've looked at www.puertoviejosatellite.com... but I'm having a very difficult time committing. Can someone please recommend a good, clean, and safe hostel in the PV area? I was going to book Kaya's Place in Playa Negro but figured let me post this question before I did.

Thanks!

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

First of all, I don't think you need a hostel to meet people. Places like Mango, Hot Rocks, Lazy Mon and Tasty Waves are great meeting points and Puerto is full of young people. For your accommodation I would cross check puertoviejosatellite with TA reviews.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

Thanks Geckoes. That is what I have been doing, thank you. I just figured I'd put it out there and see what other feedback I got on top of the reviews I've been reading :)

And yes, I agree - you don't need a hostel to meet people... but she seems to think she'll have a better chance to meet other solo travelers. I will definitely keep the places you listed in mind though, as we'll be wanting for things to do in town :)

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

You can check out http://www.pagalu.com/ if i was staying at a hostel, that would be my choice.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 16:23
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

Pagalu has great reviews, no reservations possible and I don't know if the have private bathrooms.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

Yes they do have private bathrooms. $26/night shared bath or $30/nite private bath. See more at http://www.pagalu.com/ Since they don't take reservations it's best to have a couple of other options for backup.

The reviews for La Ruka Hostel are also good but I haven't stayed there. http://www.larukahostel.com/bunk-options.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

Thank you for the information. I did come across Pagalu earlier this week and would've jumped right on that... then I saw that they do not take reservations:( I have bookmarked the information just in case we find ourselves still looking or looking to change. I will look at La Ruka as well, thanks!

I've actually been emailing with Cabinas Coconut Grove. It's listed as a hostel on booking.com though it looks more like a B&B? They have great reviews here on TA, so I've sent the info off to my friend.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

By the way, is something going on in the area that week? I found a couple of places that had availability for every night except Tues & Wed and it does seem that a lot of places are booked up. I know it's high season, just didn't know if there were any special events :)

Thanks!

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

No special events, just a popular destination

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

Not sure about Puerto Viejo, but Lake Havasu is full of spring breakers this week and next.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help - Hostel recommendation in the PV area

Thanks! Just found it odd that a Tuesday & Wednesday would be booked in many places but other days open. Got my friend to bend a bit, and we'll be staying at Cabinas Coconut Grove! It looks lovely and the person I've been emailing with has been fantastic :)

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...