We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good gifts to bring to CR

good gifts to bring to CR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 08:41
Playa del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: good gifts to bring to CR

JB has a very valid response..in rural areas the humble locals appreciate tokens of appreciation. Coloring books and colors for children are always welcomed. Years ago I traveled down to CR with chocolates before they could get the good stuff. Now they can get everything. Baseball caps with sports logos are always welcomed too.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: good gifts to bring to CR

"... in rural areas the humble locals appreciate tokens of appreciation..." You're kidding right?

The "humble locals" who serve you or guide you or watch your parked car appreciate: cash

In addition to a cash tip, if you want to give one of those "humble locals" a soccer shirt or baseball cap or whatever - go ahead and do it. But please, do it in a respectful way that will allow someone to retain their dignity. Not just "Ohhh.... I'm so rich and you're so poor -- here take this shirt!"

Er.... who is "JB" ?

Edited: 27 March 2014, 19:47
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,056 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: good gifts to bring to CR

Not sure why the attack Hattie! I had a pair of water shoes, brand new Eddie Bauer, not that it matters! They rubbed a blister on my heel. I mentioned this to a lovely young lady whose acquaintance I made in Punta Uva. I asked her if she knew anyone who may be able to use them. She shyly told me that she would love to have them as she only had a few pairs of shoes and something like this would be helpful. Now I KNOW she was not offended as she baked me a small cake as a thank you. We all have different experiences. I know enough with my Tico friends. I DO have respect. Perhaps your answers could reflect some.

I don't purport to be an expert on Costa Rica. I have spent a few months there in different regions. GEEZ not sure how you KNOW everyone else is "dead wrong"? Perhaps read the earlier post soles for Souls? I have found many of your posts helpful in the past and appreciated the input. Maybe just a bad day?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,056 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: good gifts to bring to CR

BTW when we have items that we travel with and prefer not to pay overweight fees or addtl baggage fees on going home, we leave those for anyone who we ASK that appreciates them. Fishing Poles are a good example. We don't do it in a We are Rich, You are Poor way. WOW there are ways to do everything! Not all travelers are ignorant and condescending. Sorry OP. Obviously You had sincere and good intentions.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: good gifts to bring to CR

Another possibility: All around Costa Rica, there are "Hogars de Ancianos." Old folks homes. In general, families take care of elderly people - but in some cases, this is just not possible or they have no family. What they need is mainly toiletries - shampoo, lotions, kleenex and things like this. You can ask at your lodging about a nearby "Hogar de Ancianos" and if there's one, go to the supermarket and buy a few things for them. It will be GREATLY appreciated. Costa Rica provides everything that is needed - but some little "extras" are always welcome.

I have a neighbor who works at one of the Hogars and I gave her my "collection" of small hotel shampoos, lotions, and soaps to give to them. I was amazed at the very positive reactions (some actually tearful) she described to me.

Obxpat: You do whatever you want when you come to Costa Rica - that's your privilege. But as I said, I have lived here a long time and live in a poor neighborhood and frankly know a lot more about Costa Ricans than you do. And yes, I have left unwanted clothes or shoes or whatever in a hotel room when I checked out but I never approached anyone and said...... "Here.... these are for you." With other types of things -- fishing poles, coolers or whatever -- you can always just leave them at the front desk of wherever you are staying and say, "Maybe you know someone who can use these."

I am also sure the OP has good intentions - I am just trying to direct those intentions based on my knowledge of Costa Rica and Costa Ricans.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 20:41
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,056 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: good gifts to bring to CR

I am positive You know more about Costa Rica than I do...never think of TA as a place for "Contests" just input as a forum. We ask people if they want things and it works well for us. Often locals handline so do not care about a fishing pole. Great. Usually they can tell us of someone who would like to have it. Once a local kid could not wait to show us the fish he caught before we left. His Father was our fishing guide and we tipped him with cash..as we always tip. One has nothing to do with another. I have a close friend who has lived in CR for over 26 years, not hard to follow her lead and use some common sense doing what we can when we can. She is well loved in her Community and respected. When we "approach" someone we would never say "Here, these are for you". Rather, something like I mentioned with water shoes or just "We brought this fishing pole along but are not taking it home on the plane, do you know anyone who might like to have it" Pretty simple and straightforward. I don't find it at all difficult to be polite and not condescending. My Tico Driver and Friends make fun of my Ltd Spanish and try to help me every time I am there. I don't take offense to that either. I'm happy they are comfortable enough with Me to do so.

I agree that each Country is different. The abject Poverty of Haiti is not seen in Costa Rica, thank Goodness. Still small random acts of kindness like a Hostess Gift are appreciated in my experience. Not unlike the fact that we buy our Driver lunch or dinner when we travel and ask if there is anything we can bring from the US when we return.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: good gifts to bring to CR

All great ideas, obxpat. I think you've made things very clear.

Playa del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: good gifts to bring to CR

We've purchased both boogie boards and beach chairs during long stays. There are genuine Ticos from poor families that absolutely love when we leave these items behind, workers of hotels in particular. Once we were there for two weeks and we brought down a coffee maker. The maid was thrilled that we offered it to her! She asked that the next time we come down that we bring down Barbie dolls.

29. Re: good gifts to bring to CR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...