We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I surf & snorkel in August on the Caribbean coast?

Yardley...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where can I surf & snorkel in August on the Caribbean coast?

Planning a trip to Costa Rica end of July – early August. I been to CR before, around San Jose, Monteverde, the Nicoya peninsula, Jaco area and Manuel Antonio and LOVED it. I am traveling with my 17 yr. old daughter, She wants to snorkel (not the best in Cost Rica, I know) and she wants to take surfing lessons for 3-5 days. I want the beach, hiking, wildlife and canopy tours in the jungle and possibly a trip to Arenal if I can fit in in. I was leaning toward Tamarindo because it’s a good place to learn to surf and surfing is good there in the summer. I also thought that the town would hold my daughter’s interest. But snorkeling there is bad to non-existent. … correct? So now I am leaning toward the Caribbean coast … Flying to San Jose rather than Liberia, heading to Arenal and the Springs for a few days and then driving or taking Caribe Shuttle to Cahuita or the Puerto Viejo area. I like the jungle/beach layed-back atmosphere. My question is where in CR can one go to both snorkel (experienced) and surf (beginner) in late July – early August? Is it possible to do both in Cahuita and Puerto Viejo? Or will I just get both bad snorkeling and bad surfing in August if I choose that spot. (Remember, I only need beginner waves and lessons.) Should I just go to Tamarindo and forget the snorkeling? I would go to Bocas del Toro if I could afford it – seems I could get both there.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I surf & snorkel in August on the Caribbean coast?

The end of July, beginning of August will be good for surf lessons. Snorkelling really depends on what the weather does but if decent then south of the point at Punta Uva (arrecife) will be the best to go. The surf lessons would be best at Cocles Beach, just south of Puerto Viejo. Also good snorkelling is the Cahuita National Park but only from a boat and organised.

Yardley...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I surf & snorkel in August on the Caribbean coast?

Thanks for all of the info... Sounds promising for the Caribbean coast. I don't mind an organized boat excursion for snorkeling if needed for variety. It also sounds like a rental car might be the best way to go. Do I need a 4WD or SUV? I need auto, I don't drive manual and automatics seem much more expensive.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I surf & snorkel in August on the Caribbean coast?

A rental car will give you a lot of freedom but is not necessary. A combination of bicycles, buses and taxis will do the trick. If you decide on a car, a sedan will be fine, the roads on this side are very good now.

4. Re: Where can I surf & snorkel in August on the Caribbean coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...