We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

Looking for the best place to see snakes and mainly poison dart frogs. We have been to the Osa Penninsula before but to return may not work for us because of flight times. We are on a tight schedule. Any suggestions? We want to be able to explore on our own and not with a tour. Looking at Tortuguero or Arenal.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

You will find whats called Serpentariums in different locations such as Monteverde, La Paz, Manuel Antonio and others around the country. This is the best way to see and learn about the different species here. Research a little and you will find them

Cheers

Inca

Toronto
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

Thanks, but I want to see them in the wild not in captivity.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

If you hire a good guide for sure you are going to see them in both places. They are everywhere in both places. Just make sure you tell the guide how important is for you see the frogs. NATUREGUIDE

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

You can come across snakes in the wild just about everywhere in Costa Rica, look out for the Fer de Lance or Terciopelo as it is called here. A nasty little Asp that is widely distributed throughout Costa Rica. Many of the lowland wet areas have them in abundance. You will also find Boas, biggest I ever saw in the wild here was about 14 feet long. Any guided tour has a good possibility of spotting snakes for you. Some are so well camouflaged you almost need the guides to find them.

Cheers

Inca

Atlanta
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

I've seen more snakes and dart frogs around Costa Rica's southern Caribbean coast than in Tortuguero, but Tortuguero is excellent for wildlife spotting in general.

The last time I was in Puerto Viejo (two weeks ago) I saw three different dart frog species, eyelash vipers of four different colorphases, and a fer-de-lance. La Ceiba Natural Preserve near Playa Chiquita and Punta Uva is an excellent place to spot snakes and frogs. I don't think you can hike the trails without a guide, though. But if you're lucky, you may have a spider monkey or a raccoon as one of your tour guides because Marc and Kristina sometimes bring one along as part of their rehabilitation/reintroduction efforts.

However, you're more likely to see crocodiles (and caiman) in Tortuguero, as well as large constrictors. And Tortuguera certainly has a much more remote, deep jungle feel than the southern Caribbean, if that's what you're looking for.

It would be easy to combine a visit to La Selva Biological Station with Tortuguero: www.ots.ac.cr/index.php…

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

Totally agree with natureguide. The best way to see the animals you are looking for is to hire a good guide. They know where and when to look.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

You might try here for more information: www.tortuguerovillage.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

Agree with Nature Guide...a proffesional guide not a wanabee a guide will help you finding what you are looking for!

roadadvisor

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

www.tortugueroinfo.com

Mawamba or www.turtlebeachlodge.com or Tortuga Lodge

best for me...

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
343 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place in CR to see snakes and amphibians

I would go for: La Selva Biological Station. You will see the Strawberry poison dart frog everywhere. Striped poison dart frog is also found there. Have seen many Green and Black poison dart frogs at Ara Ambigua (close to La Selva). This area is also great for snakes, especially at night. We have also been to Tortuguero, but haven't seen snakes or many frogs there. Maybe also because we stayed in town. But most tours are by boat, so frogs and snakes were not exactly what the guides were looking for. Great for birds and monkeys though.