We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Time

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NEWARK
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Time

Hello-

About how long does it take to get from San Jose to Tortuguero including time on the boat?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Time

By La PAVONA... about 3 hours...depending on lodge stops...for lunch...etc...

In general I will said 3 hours...

I hope Mr. Thorn Tree does not insult me for my answer!

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Time

3 hours on average, but Rt 32 is currently under repair, so could be longer, plan for longer...

tortuguerovillage.com/english/gettinghere/ge…

Mr Thorntree

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Time

Just to clarify...the road 32 is not under construction all the way...just about 4 kms starting in San Jose...just short delays...not a big deal...

I really hope they open again the Thorn Tree!

roadadvisor

NEWARK
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Time

Thank you so much, all!

Tortuguero, Costa...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Time

Are you traveling by bus? If you leave San José at 9am on public transportation, you will arrive in Tortuguero around 1 or 2pm. If you drive, you have to make sure you get to La Pavona around 7am, 12pm or 4pm, as those are the only three public boat times. Best to arrive a bit early, and to not plan on catching the last boat. There could be an accident on the road, etc, and you really don't want to be stuck in La Pavona or Cariari for the night! Also: make sure you have GPS or VERY detailed instructions if you are driving. I know Costa Ricans who have been to Tortuguero more than once and have still gotten lost. There are very few signs for Tortuguero.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Time

You can find some helpful information here: tortuguerovillage.com/english/gettinghere/ge…

7. Re: Travel Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 05:18