We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortuguero Early Morning Canal Tour

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
350 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Tortuguero Early Morning Canal Tour

Will be staying at Mawamba Lodge in Tortuguero and will be going on an early morning canal tour. This canal tour is not included in our package so it is an additional cost and we have to make our own arrangements. I understand we can do so through Mawamba Lodge using their guide and boat. My question is should we book this tour through Mawamba Lodge because of the convenience in doing so or are there other more preferrable options we should consider and, if so, why. I understand some boats use electric motors which are quieter than gas motors or does this apply to all boats providing canal tours?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tortuguero Early Morning Canal Tour

While the electric motor is very quiet, the boat drivers don't go through the canals very fast so it is pretty quiet, all in all. It's kind of the difference between an electric car and a gas car at idle.

Whether you choose the Mawamba option or just pick someone on your own is really up to you. My favorite thing to do is to arrange a young man and a canoe and just head out very early. I usually don't hire a guide, as such, just someone who can help paddle and avoid getting lost in the labyrinth of canals.

"Early morning" means different things to different people. If you plan on going earlier than the "normal" tours, you will have it all to yourself. Otherwise, you may be in a "flotilla." For me, "early morning" means at sunrise or not long after.

This might give you some ideas: www.tortuguerovillage.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tortuguero Early Morning Canal Tour

Without a problem you can deal direct with Mawamba...nice decentt people...

Roadadvisor

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tortuguero Early Morning Canal Tour

I'd lean towards just going with your lodge out of convenience. There's lots of good wildlife in the area. We saw crocs, otters, caimans, toucans, and lots of monkeys. I haven't used them, but Fran and Modesto Watson get great reviews as guides if you want to explore that option. I'm not sure if they only work with specific hotels though. You can check out the reviews and see what you think.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tortuguero Early Morning Canal Tour

If you are staying at Mawamba...why hire a person from another lodge...?

In my experience...some old lodges around make some people believe that tehy are like Indiana Jones...and they offer th best guides...??

Mauricio Dada and his crew are the best...and of course are3 local people...that own and run the lodge...

Again I will follow Hattie advice...she knows...and she base her advices in real life experience since she lives here and visit all those places very often not once every 20 years!

roadadvisor

5. Re: Tortuguero Early Morning Canal Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 06:16