We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January Visit

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
January Visit

Greetings,

I'm possibly headed to Tortuguero Park in early-mid January, and I know it's not "turtle season". My question is based on turtles though: my mom (who I am travelling with) is a hughe Turtle Lover. So my question is, even if it isn't nesting season and we won't see them migrating across the beach, are there still plenty of turtles to see at all in the park at this time? Thanks!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January Visit

chances I think are slim, they come to the beaches for nesting purposes only. When not nesting they spend their lives at sea. It is possible to see them in the waters if you do some boat trips but this goes for everywhere and not just Tortuguero. IMO your best bet is to do a dolphin watching or snorkeling tour and you would most likely see some turtles on something like that.

Every time I have been out on a boat here I have seen at least one.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 19:15
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January Visit

Thanks!

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January Visit

Is there any other place to see the turtles nesting in January in Costa Rica?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,524 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January Visit

Ostional at the Northern side of our country at Guanacaste province...nice places to stay maybe check NOSARA beach...some great small places to stay...

Plenty turtles there almost the whole year!

roadadvisor

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January Visit

Thank you! Very much!

6. Re: January Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Tortuguero