We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming in Tortuguero beach

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
swimming in Tortuguero beach

Hello,

I'm planning Gadventure tour to Tortuguero and was wonder what the beach was like. Are we able go for a swim.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swimming in Tortuguero beach

Usually, people don't swim much at the beaches in Tortuguero -- the surf is usually pretty strong. I have seen people wading in the ocean there - not much more than knee deep - but you need to be really careful if you are planning on going in the water.

Toronto
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swimming in Tortuguero beach

Thanks... Thats kinda sucks.. Being from toronto was hoping for good sea swim... Do you know any good beachs in Costa Rica

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swimming in Tortuguero beach

No one was swimming when we were there last month, and we were warned not to swim due to the surf & rip tide. It was pretty wild on the day that we were there ... calf deep was about the most you would want to wade in that day. Nice beach to walk along though.

p.s. Where does the tour go to, other than Tortuguero?

Edited: 25 April 2014, 15:31
Toronto
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swimming in Tortuguero beach

Its a 4 for day trip.. Just Tortuguero... So now im wondering if i should go somewhere else...

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: swimming in Tortuguero beach

If swimming in the ocean is the main reason for coming to Costa Rica -- you have lots of choices. There are over 100 beaches in Costa Rica. However, some of them have rough surf and are plagued by dangerous rip tides.

You can look here for some general information on beaches and make up your own mind: anywherecostarica.com/destinations/…beach

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swimming in Tortuguero beach

4 days is really short for a trip to CR from Toronto....are you able to add a few days on? What time of year are you planning to go?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: swimming in Tortuguero beach

Possible yes ...good idea NO...

roadadvisor

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: swimming in Tortuguero beach

I forgot to mention above, but the other warning that we received re swimming in the ocean at Tortuguero was the large number of bull sharks and barracuda. But Tortuguero is a fantastic destination for the wildlife and vegetation. And getting there/back by boat is part of the highlight of going there.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: swimming in Tortuguero beach

If beach time and swimming is important than Tortuguero is not your best choice and I agree that only 4 days is a very short period of time. You also may want to look what the weather does in certain areas at certain times of the year. costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: swimming in Tortuguero beach

Rip tides on the ocean side, crocodiles on the river side, but i saw plenty of children swimming on the river side though.