We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quepos/Arenal/Tortuguero destinations - what order?

North Vancouver...
5 posts
Save Topic
Quepos/Arenal/Tortuguero destinations - what order?

I will be in Costa Rica Feb 2015. We are starting in Quepos, and then want to see Arenal and Tortuguero for about 4 nights each. I assume we will fly back to San Jose from Quepos, but then we don't know which destination makes most sense to see next, based on travel times. We are not opposed to land travel vs flying. In the end we do of course need to end up back in San Jose. Any info would be great!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,294 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quepos/Arenal/Tortuguero destinations - what order?

You could fly to all three destinations, all from SJO. In such a case the order is not important; I would start with Tortuguero, then Arenal and finally Quepos.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 08:45
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quepos/Arenal/Tortuguero destinations - what order?

There are flights to/from Tortuguero from SJO but not directly to/from anywhere else. What I would do is fly to Tortuguero, use land travel to Arenal then fly to Quepos and either fly or use land travel back to SJO.

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quepos/Arenal/Tortuguero destinations - what order?

Whitschindel, I am doing those three destinations as well in September. I am flying into SJO, taking the shuttle to Tortuguero, then taking the shuttle to Arenal and then to Manuel Antonio/Quepos, and then flying out of SJO.

One point to note that the B&B I booked at Tortuguero correctly pointed out is that if Tortuguero is your first destination, make sure you carry a handbag with change of clothes and other essentials. In case your checked-in luggage is delayed by the airlines, there is no way it will reach Tortuguero in time. Just keep that in mind.

North Vancouver...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quepos/Arenal/Tortuguero destinations - what order?

Thanks for all of then input. Unfortunately I forgot to specify that Quepos will be our first destination because it is for a wedding and our flights are already booked. We are flying there from San Jose. I know there are possible ways to access all places by plane and land, but I wasn't sure which is most sensible. Because we are all the way in Quepos I thought it would be most practical to fly back to San Jose and go to Arenal or Tortuguero from there. It seems like the drive would be quite long from Quepos to either of those locations.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quepos/Arenal/Tortuguero destinations - what order?

This might help: www.yourtravelmap.com for distances and travel times.

You could use land travel from Quepos to San Jose and then overnight there and fly to Tortuguero. Or..... fly from Quepos to Arenal and then use land travel from Arenal to Tortuguero and fly back to SJO.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quepos/Arenal/Tortuguero destinations - what order?

I like Hattie's suggestion to fly one way to Tortuguero and water/land travel the other way.

We drove (to La Pavona) and then took the public boat to Tortuguero and a private boat back to La Pavona, but in your case, without a rental, I think that flying one way is a good option.

It doesn't matter which order you do these places in ... I think it's more important to try to do them in the order that is most efficient with transportation, and avoid an overnight near SJO mid-trip if at all possible. If you can't do flights in one day from Quepos to SJO to Tortuguero, then I would do what Hattie suggested and fly from Quepos to Arenal, then land/water transport to Tortuguero, and fly back to SJO.

Greeley, Colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Quepos/Arenal/Tortuguero destinations - what order?

Labaula, Evergreen or Marabella?

8. Re: Quepos/Arenal/Tortuguero destinations - what order?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16