We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI: Turtle Tour mid-July

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
FYI: Turtle Tour mid-July

I just came back from Tortuguero. And just FYI, very few turtles are coming up onto the shore to nest. I was there 2 nights, and they had not seen any nesting activity the few days before. You're allotted the early evening or late evening (10pm-midnight) slot. On our night, the early slot did not see anything. Luckily, we had 2 turtles come up to the beach the night we came. They both started nesting, but both were scared off by something (strange sound, smell). They will abandon the nest and not lay eggs if they notice anything dangerous. I suspect that the guides may have been a little too excited and made too much noise or called us to the beach too early. Not sure. But we were able to see the turtles leave their nest and head back to the shore. At least we saw something, but I've been to Hawaii and snorkeled next to a turtle. So I didn't just want to see a turtle, I wanted to see the nesting process in person.

I was debating to go again the next night, but at $20 a person, for 5 people....I decided not to. I'm glad I didn't, because there were no turtles the next day.

The guide told us that last year, the turtles started coming up mid-June, and this year, they have seen very few sightings. They think it's because of the high water level, lots of rain. It actually rained almost all day the 3 days we were there. There were a couple of hours throughout the day when there was no rain.

In hindsight, I wish we could have skipped Tortuguero all together. It was a long trip from San Jose and then on to Arenal after visiting Tortuguero. There wasn't much to do in the town....lots of touristy gift shops. (We stayed at Casa Marbella). However, we did love eating at Budda Cafe and Wild Ginger. Although I did have a stomach ache after eating at Wild Ginger (may have been the pina colada) but my DH and 3 DD's did not have any stomach issues. We also enjoyed the morning boat tour scheduled by Casa Marbella. We saw all 3 types of monkeys, a two-toed sloth, a Caiman alligator and lots of birds.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI: Turtle Tour mid-July

Sorry to hear it was a wash out. Nature does not always play in a predictable way. Thanks for letting folks know about your experience.

2. Re: FYI: Turtle Tour mid-July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Tortuguero