We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Jaco trip

Wellington, CO
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recent Jaco trip

Was in Jaco April 16-20 and stayed at the Hotel Tangeri (nice place, review written but not on board yet). I got a lot of info from this site before my trip so thought I would try and give some back.

First it is very hot in Jaco. Thought I was prepared for the heat index but wow is it hot. Not too bad if you are somewhere with an ocean breeze. But most of the main street is blocked from the ocean breeze. Take cool clothing! Saw lots of guys with no shirts but some places have signs "no shirt, no service". I always wore a shirt but wish I had taken some fish net shirts or sleeveless shirts, etc. Beer/drinks get warm very fast. A foam can holder won't help much.

As mentioned before most everything in Jaco is located on one long street. Jaco is a tourist town but a small town. I enjoyed being able to walk the whole town which has many nice restaurants, surf shops and tourist shops. A nice change from some of the large tourist towns in Mexico.

When I first arrived I tried to use my VISA debit/check card in ATMs at two banks with no luck. I finally asked a cab driver if he could drive me to a place that would take my card. He said just walk back 200 yards to the MasXMenos supermarket. There is a blue ATM in the front of the store that will give out up to 50,000 colones. This is also likely the best place to pick up some groceries. It is located closer to the south end of town.

Had a great time after I learned to live with the heat. Will try and answer questions if I can help.

Jay

Mentioned in this post
Jaco
Jaco
Jaco District, Costa Rica
Tangeri Hotel
Tangeri Hotel
103 Reviews
Jaco, Costa Rica
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Jaco Tours & Sportfishing
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Explorica S.A
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Fort Collins
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent Jaco trip

Changed IDs as this is the one actually used when asking questions before my trip.

One more thing I meant to bring up. On the weekend there are lots of people (I assume from San Jose) camping, etc on the beach. My patio was at beach level and there were cars, trucks, tents and lots of people between me and the water. After the weekend this was all gone. At least in mid April the beach is fairly quiet during the weekdays.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent Jaco trip

man... reading your posts brings me back to an afternoon in jaco just a couple months ago. we were walking up the street in our tank tops and shorts - and, man.... i thought i was going to DIE! it was so hot - it just about zapped all of my strength. i enjoyed the town too... but found that most everywhere up and down the pacific was just too hot for my taste. we found a more comfortable environment up in the fortuna area. just had to write - having had a similar experience :) pura vida!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent Jaco trip

Just really briefly: I was there late January, early February. The heat wasn't a problem then, but I thought Jaco was a little strange... There were many, many people there, but very few on the beach, or in the water. And it was a very nice, sandy beach, and fine weather. At the ends of the streets leading to the beach, the many, many people just stood around, mostly staring at the cars that were turning around, and each other. There were beaches that people seemed to actually use just down the road a piece.

Mentioned in this post
Jaco
Jaco
Jaco District, Costa Rica