We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insects?

Which Jaco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Insects?

Hi. Haven't seen any mention of it in previous posts, but I was wondering due to the nature of the climate if insects are an issue during ventures into the rain forest, national parks, etc. Does a person need to lather up with repellent before these activities? I hate the stuff, but was wondering if I need to pack some! Thanks, Don <((((><

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insects?

I would definitely bring it. I would not say it's something you will have to deal with 24/7, but mosquitos and other biting insects are out there. Nothing more unpleasant to have a great hike ruined by being bit a lot. Also mosquitos carry dengue, so always better to err on the side of caution.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insects?

If they love you as much as they love me...bring some repellent...some people do not even feel them...but of course we have a few of them around ...with 4% of the earth biodiversity here in Costa Rica!

roadadvisor

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insects?

They love me too, so I have to use bug spray all day and night in CR and not just in the forest. So yes bring repellant.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insects?

Good question...must it be as repellent with high level of DEET or will those botanical repellents work?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insects?

I think it depends on the person. What really helps me is taking B1 for at least 2 weeks before I go. It has to be B1, not a complex or B12 or 6. I do also have to use bug spray. The bug spray alone doesn't do it for me. The weaker bugsprays, like the one for kids don't work for me either. I have found that Sports Off has the right amount of deet for me. I think it is about 25% give or take. Anything stonger doesn't seem to help anymore. Anything weaker is a waste of deet. I also go indoors or into the water at dusk. Off also has a personel fanwith repellant in it you can clip on and that seems to work also. Just covering up with clothes doesn't always work for me either becasue the mosquitoes can bite through thin material. I know I sound crazy with all this stuff, but the bugs really love me. When I do all this I can make it through a month in CR without any bites. Some people don't get chewed up and can use skin so soft and be fine. Just depends on the person.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insects?

mrolfes is totally correct...I have two kids...one get bit all the time...just like me...and the mother and the other kid...mosquitos are not even here!

roadadvisor

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insects?

What really caused me to ask this question was I saw an episode on the Discovery Channel about Bot Worms. They are transmitted by mosquito and will bury into the skin. They happen to live in CR and the rest of Central America. Kind of freaked me out after seeing what they are like!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,914 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insects?

Bot Worms - I could have lived another day without googleing that! The good news is they can be removed. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I will use this on our March trip to scare my 24 year old son into using insect repellent lol. Then I won't have to listen to the usual "I'll be fine", and the complaining later when he has bites.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insects?

Insect and tick protection

Wear long sleeves, long pants, hats and shoes (rather than sandals). For rural and forested areas, boots are preferable, with pants tucked in, to prevent tick bites. Apply insect repellents containing 25-50% DEET (N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide) or 20% picaridin (Bayrepel) to exposed skin (but not to the eyes, mouth, or open wounds). DEET may also be applied to clothing. Products with a lower concentration of either repellent need to be repplied more frequently. Products with a higher concentration of DEET carry an increased risk of neurologic toxicity, especially in children, without any additional benefit. Do not use either DEET or picaridin on children less than two years of age.

Cutter Advanced my fav ..

www.mdtravelhealth.com Costa Rica best info

Have fun,

10. Re: Insects?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2010, 07:18