We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to Jaco

washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
first time to Jaco

we are coming to Jaco in February. 3 women ages, 70,49, and 21 and all active. we were hoping to get advice as to best things to do in the area, best restaurants, best beaches, etc...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
459 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to Jaco

Check it this guide:

teetimescostarica.com/costa-rica-jaco-golf-g…

It has a listing of restaurants, and things to do. I live in the area and know that you are going to love Jaco.

Best of the best - Go to Villa Caletas to see the sunset.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to Jaco

So much to do and you will have a great trip. Make sure and check out the Jaco forum for ideas.

For restaurants there are many to choose from. For easy and yummy food Taco Bar is great. On the beach Bubbas Tacos are very good and a nice spot to enjoy the view. Tsunami Sushi is excellent and on Wed. night all the rolls are 1/2 off. Wishbones is good, some people think it is great. For Italian I really enjoy Papparazzi. At night Tabacon usually has live music and their food is pretty good. Lemon Zest is the best IMO if you want to splurge. Over all my favorite food is from the local sodas. Mare Alta is my favorite one. I know the locals really like Rustico, but I am not a fan of that one.

Our group also enjoys going to The Backyard on Saturday afternoons to watch the surf competition. Ziplinning is always fun. A trip to Tortuga for the day is a great way to enjoy the water. Lots and Lots to do. Do try and catch a sunset at Villa Caletas.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
291 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to Jaco

Don't forget Adventure Dining and Manuel Antonio!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to Jaco

You can enjoy ATV tours, Zip lines, horseback riding, the cruise to Tortuga Island, the Aerial Tram Ride, The Crocodile & Bird Safari tour, a hike at the Manuel Antonio Park is a must. You will not get bored.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,849 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to Jaco

Dear murray...

Maybe nice for you guys rent a car and drive to Manuel Antonio National Park...about 1 hour from Jaco...nice road all the way...remember you do not need any middle person or company to book anything thing and if you do...dealt with a certified company!

roadadivsor

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to Jaco

definitely try Lemon Zest - a american owned and operated gourmet restaurant fun by a family who used to have an upscale restaurant in Boca Raton FL.it is the best in Jaco.

Graffiti - an excellent wine bar, bistro with a mixed menu - everything delicious.

caliche's wishbone- also great restaurant-mixed menu be sure to try the Tuna Poki bowl!

tsumani sushi always seems to get recommended, it is good and popular, but I think Bamboo in Los Suenos is the best sushi in the area. great service and presentation, and a wide mixed asian fusion menu.

all the restaurant in Los Suenos are good.

If you are looking for more "Tico" style restaurants with traditional costa rican cuisine, try the Pelicano on heredurra beach near Los Suenos.

or Fiesta De Mariscos about 15 -20 minutes outside of Jaco by tarcoles. both are mainly seafood places the Pelicano is much nicer.

Hicaco in Jaco is also a very nice Tico seafood place, at the end of a side road going down to the beach. it is open air and right on the beach, but very nice and upscale and has an extensive menu.

2 places not to eat-

Villa Calletas- go for the sunset and drinks and appetizers. but don't waste money in the restaurant - I have never had a good meal there and will never eat there again- last lime i sent 2 plates of food back and it still cost $180 for 2 people.

Pappazzi- even though mrolfes recommended it, i don't know if je as been there recently.

I used to Love it, and it was one of my favorite, and my bosses favorite places. it used to be owned and operated by a young italian couple the guy worked the front and the wife did the cooking, it was fabulous. it now is owned and operated by a borderline obnoxious italian guy and has gone very down hill.

had a few mediocre meals there and quit going until last time my boss was here and he had been telling his friends how great it was before, so we went. long story short, we waited over 2 hours to get food in a restaurant with onto about 6 other customers. when we asked the owner what was taking so long, he responded in spanish " the wait is worth the suffering" . well it wasn't . they sporadically brought out some of our groups meals, so people could not even eat together. by sporadically i mean 30 minutes between plates so if you waited for others, your food would be cold. the worst was my boss and one of his guests ordered the lobster special. my boss was brought out a very tiny tail and some veggies, and his guest was brought the most ridiculous excuse for a plate i have ever seen. the brought him a lobster head with no tail at all. no meat just brains and guts inside the shell of a head, we were trying to figure out if it was a joke or some type of exotic cusine we were unaware of, but we ensured the owner it was the worst dining experience that we had ever had in Jaco. the rest of the week we attempted to order lobster head at every establishment we visited and only got baffled looks from the staff.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
170 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to Jaco

Don't forget Carara National Park and Adventure Dining.

8. Re: first time to Jaco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2013, 10:16