We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tortuga island, or a closer option

12 posts
Save Topic
tortuga island, or a closer option

Heading to jaco mid feb - one thing the group would like to do is see a white sand/clear water type beach. ive heard tortuga island has that. we are going through jaco vip and they have a trip arranged. i was wondering if anyone had any advice on if we need to go to tortuga island for the beach, or is there something closer? apparently the boat ride to the island is fun itself so im open to any suggestions.

Thanks again

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tortuga island, or a closer option

Tortuga Island with Calypso Cruises, great staff , nice boat , very good service

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tortuga island, or a closer option

Nice white sand beach at Punta Leona...and is just minutes from JACO!

roadadvisor

Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tortuga island, or a closer option

Been to Tortuga several times. Very, very nice beach with good snorkeling. Only one little store there that basically runs the beach. Outhouses cost I think 1 or 2 dollars a visit (they have to be pumped out so thats why the cost, lot of trees for the men.) Beach chairs and umbrellas are rented I think for $5 or so a day. Pet wild hog roams around and usually falls asleep at your feet, very friendlly. Several tour boats come everyday and all have shelters, tables bbq set up to provide lunch beer and drinks which is part of the tour cost. It will be a highlite of your trip.

Michigan
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tortuga island, or a closer option

don_velli

My wife and I recently went on the new 100 foot Tortuga Island catamaran boat called the Pura Vida Princess. It leaves from right behind the Marriott Los Suenos about 10 minutes from Jaco where we have a condo. We had a great time and the boat was a lot of fun and very comfortable. The crew was great and the snorkeling was a lot of fun and was included for free in the fare which was $110 for each of us. It also included breakfast, really good rum punch all we could drink, sodas ,purified water and a really tasty BBQ lunch on the Island with yummy chicken, rice, salad and veggies.

We did the Calypso cruise to Tortuga last year and it was nice too, but the 45 minute ride from Jaco and Los Suenos each way to get back and forth to the boat was a bit long and it was $25 more expensive than the Pura Vida Princess cruise was. Also we got to the Island about an hour before the Calypso boat and the other Tortuga boat did and we did the snorkeling right away. By the time we were done snorkeling the other two Tortuga boats arrived and there were tons of people in the snorkel area making it really crowded. We were glad we got to snorkel with so many less people in the water as it was a zoo after the others arrived.

According to the flyer the crew gave us on board, they are also running a sunset booze cruise on Friday's from 3pm-7pm . On the flyer it says it includes all your drinks,some food, transportation from and back to your accommodations and the sunset cruise. We are going to give that try in a few weeks when we get back to Jaco.

They have a web site too which is www.tortugaislandcruise.com

Have a great time in Costa Rica whatever you decide to do there - Pura Vida!

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
290 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tortuga island, or a closer option

We also have done Calypso several times and loved it, but.....it was sooo nice to leave on the new boat out of Herradura! We had a great time and truly enjoyed the unlimited "happy juice", and wonderful breakfast and lunch. The van/bus ride to the Calypso is very tiring especially if you have to stop at other hotels along the way. I would recommend the new Pura Vida Princess also. So nice to hear about the sunset cruise and I will definitely take that one next time also!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tortuga island, or a closer option

We loved calypso too, but no drive and less snorkels sounds great

7. Re: tortuga island, or a closer option

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2014, 05:16