We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New highway to Jaco closure on Sunday???

Which Jaco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
New highway to Jaco closure on Sunday???

Just saw a thread saying the highway turns into a one way at 2:00 on Sunday. That is exactly when we should be getting out of the airport with our car!!! Can someone help with an alternate route. I have only been to Costa Rica once, but never driven there...

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
197 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New highway to Jaco closure on Sunday???

Ask the rental car people. I have heard from friends that it turns the drive into 2.5 hours, but don't know the specifics

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New highway to Jaco closure on Sunday???

I think Route 27 will be running all lanes from Orotina towards the Central Valley to help avoid congestion as lots of Costa Rican families return from the beach. This is supposed to begin at 12 midday and end at 6. If you are planning to go towards the Pacific Coast in these hours, take the alternative route via Atenas or stay in Alajuela or San Jose overnight.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New highway to Jaco closure on Sunday???

This generally happens in high season and heavy traffic weekends BUT it's not reported here (yet?) www.transito.go.cr/estadorutas/index.html Check periodically with this site and as suggested ask at your rental agency.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New highway to Jaco closure on Sunday???

But it is reported on the Routee 27 Twitter account and is on their boards as you drive along it, so I am sure it is happening. The transit police site rarely list it until the day before.

5. Re: New highway to Jaco closure on Sunday???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:18