We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Bus:Difference bet San Jose/Jaco vs SJ/MA bus to Jaco?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
433 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Local Bus:Difference bet San Jose/Jaco vs SJ/MA bus to Jaco?

Hoping someone can help me. I understand that you can take either the San Jose - Jaco bus or a San Jose - Manuel Antonio bus to get to Jaco.

Some sites show that the trip time on the San Jose - Manuel Antonio bus takes about an hour less than taking the San Jose - Jaco bus for just about a USD $1 more.

It looks like there is a 9am bus out of the Coca Cola Station in San Jose for both routes.

Besides it taking less time, is there anything else about the San Jose - Manuel Antonio bus that I need to know about or take into account?

For example, does that SJ/MA bus drop off on the outskirts of Jaco versus the SJ/Jaco bus so I might have more difficulty getting a taxi to take me to my accommodation?

Is the San Jose - Manuel Antonio bus more crowded or require advance booking than the San Jose - Jaco bus?

Thanks for any advice/insight you can offer.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Jaco
Jaco
Jaco District, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Bus:Difference bet San Jose/Jaco vs SJ/MA bus to Jaco?

hi Spahkee,

You are correct. The Transportes Morales buses to Manuel Antonio are shown on thebusschedule.com as an option to get to Jaco. These buses do not go into Jaco. They will let you off on the highway at the outskirts of town. The thing is, the same bus schedule still says that these buses leave from The Coca Cola. This is NO LONGER true. They leave from Tracopa, a different bus station. The directo would be the fastest because it takes the new road until Orotina. however, you would have to make sure it will actually stop for you near Jaco

if you ask. The collectivo will for sure.

it is hard to know in advance how,full the buses will be. it varies from day to,day and also depends on the season....

The Transportes Jaco buses do leave from the Coca Cola. They go right in to Jaco and make at couple of stops. One is at Mas Por Menos supermarket and another at the bus terminal which is just past the Best Western. Not sure if it will make others on demand.

Their website actually seems to indicate the number of tickets available - though I can't vouch for its accuracy.

www.transportesjacoruta655.com/asientos.php…

Pura vida

Raquel

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Jaco
Jaco
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Bus:Difference bet San Jose/Jaco vs SJ/MA bus to Jaco?

Great info Raquel.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Bus:Difference bet San Jose/Jaco vs SJ/MA bus to Jaco?

Raquel, I was looking at thebusschedule.com website for buses from San Jose to Manuel Antonio and all I saw was "Transportes Morales" and nothing about which station. In fact, I have never seen anything about "which station" on that website --- am I missing something?

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Bus:Difference bet San Jose/Jaco vs SJ/MA bus to Jaco?

On thebusschedule.com, between the name of the location and the date for every departure, you will see a little sort of a blob. It is supposed to represent a map. At the bottom of each page that lists the options of for travel, it says

"Click on. the map (and then shows a picture of the little blob) for additional information".

Click on the one next to san Jose for one of the Transportes Morales and see what it says about bus terminals.

Raquel

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Bus:Difference bet San Jose/Jaco vs SJ/MA bus to Jaco?

Oh, yeah. Now I see the "little blob." I've never noticed that before despite using this website a lot! I have to wonder just how many people are like me.

The website is not perfect, that's for sure, but it's the best one I've found. There is another one from ICT that is a PDF file and that one's pretty good also. visitcostarica.com/ict/paginas/LEYES/pdf/Iti…

But sometimes riding the bus (or finding the right bus station) is not very straightforward. Also - some people don't understand that not everyone who gets on a bus will go all the way to the end. Thus if the bus for Manuel Antonio (or anywhere, really) is full with standing room only, people will be getting off here and there and seats will become available.

Just like riding the public bus anywhere, it takes a bit of time to understand the whole system.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Bus:Difference bet San Jose/Jaco vs SJ/MA bus to Jaco?

There is actually a more recent ICT bus schedule than the one linked above.

visitcostarica.com/ict/paginas/LEYES/pdf/Iti…

Even that one is out of date and has inaccuracies. It is a good help to getting an idea of point to point service. it does not deal with routes where you have to change buses.

I have always said the thebusschedule.com is a very good resource and a good starting point. it just has a few quirks so can't be taken as gospel. it is basically a computer program.

the only reason I actually noticed the little blobs, is that someone on this forum pointed them out a few times.. I actually don't use them either. But the OP made a statement that there were 2 buses at 9 AM leaving from Coca Cola.....

That is precisely why people come to this forum. They seek information from people who have done a similar thing. If one takes the directo bus to Manuel Antonio, actually 99% of the people will stay on until Parrita. it will not even make a stop until the rest stop just past Orotina. The collectivo to Quepos on the other hand, makes lots of stops and people get on and off. if you get on without a set, often by Atenas you will get one.

One thing about CR buses, it that every route is different and that everthing is "subject to change". And it is not really only about time to understand the system. You have to use it and talk to people who have actually used the specific route you are wondering about or have experience with the places.

Raquel

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Quepos
Quepos
San Pablo, Costa...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Bus:Difference bet San Jose/Jaco vs SJ/MA bus to Jaco?

You can buy tickets online to or From Jaco in www.transportesjaco.com

Mentioned in this post
Jaco
Jaco
8. Re: Local Bus:Difference bet San Jose/Jaco vs SJ/MA bus to Jaco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 06:16