We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

Which Jaco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Riverton, Wyoming
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

My hubby & I will be traveling to CR for the first time and will be based just outside of Jaco (Jaco Beach Village) the last 2 wks in Oct. Yes, I know......rainy season. .:( I'm wondering about the "Must Things to DO". I'm guessing we probably won't rent a car but use tour companies. That will remain to be seen on the car rental. Any suggestions on activities we must NOT miss,..... tours, suggested tour companies, restaurants, any nearby snorkeling, etc would be much appreciated. Keep in mind on the activities that we are in our mid 60s so................LOL.

Thanks for any info!!

jaco
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

Know the first time. To be able to hang around in Jaco you would need a rent a car, but if you want to check the area out it will be worthy maybe visiting Manuel Antonio, 45 minutes south. But let's go back to Jaco. It usually rains on the afternoon so take advance of the mornings. Here are some activities you count on.. A zip line canopy tour, the secret waterfall and spa with horseback ring, crocodile safari, atv tour, Sky tramp and for snorkeling at Tortuga Island. Most of the tour operator will provide you of transportation. In there are plenty of restaurant, seafood, sushi, Argentinian grill or local restaurant...if you love seafood..you might for E Hicaco. Maybe you can check this people..http://www.cupotico.com.. They can guide you well.

Good Look.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

There are plentiful taxis in Jaco so just "getting around the town" will not require you to rent a vehicle. Additionally, most tours will provide transportation. Tours to Manuel Antonio Park, Carara and Tarcoles are provided in the area which has transportation included; however, renting a vehicle for a day just to get out on your own is fine. Zuma is a great rental vehicle operation in Jaco and highly recommended. For restaurants, there are so many to choose from in all ranges of prices ... gourmet, traditional CR, Italian, seafood etc. If you want specific restaurant recommendations based on cuisine, more than happy to help so please feel free to keep this thread available. I had friends stay at Jaco Beach Village earlier this year and they loved it! You made a great choice!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

All good suggestions above. I stay for months at a time and don't rent a car. Like Lisa mentioned most of the tours will include transportation. A day visit to Manuel Antonio is great. Monkey island tour is rather fun. The croc tour as well. Saturdays The Backyard has a surf competition that I try to make as often as possible. Lots for you to do.

jaco
Level Contributor
69 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

Jaco Beach Village is right in the center of town, you won't NEED a car, but what I'd suggest is renting a car in the middle of your stay for a day or two so you can explore the outside areas a bit on your own. You can easily rent a car in Jaco, various options available. When you have a car, a sunset at Villa Caletas, or trip to Manuel Antonio would be a great call. I'd take a look here for more must do/see activities, you can see top restaurant recommendations there as well

visitjacocostarica.com/our-must-do--see-list…

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
197 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

Two tours that don't always get big billing is Neo Fauna and the Chocolate Farm. Neo Fauna is 5 minutes outside of Jaco and any taxi driver can take you there. Any tour where the guide can keep 5 kids under age 9 and 6 adults engaged for 2 hours is worth the $20 fee for adults (kids free). Go on a clear morning so that the butterflies are out. The Chocolate Farm is about an hour away, but one of my new favorites. You must contact them in advance to set up the tour because they need to make sure they have an English speaker available if you are not fluent in Spanish. It is a small farm, but I found the entire process very interesting. You do need a SUV to get to the farm. If you are interested, I have a local taxi guy that has taken guest there for me. I am still trying to figure out how to get a tour of the dairy that it is just outside of Jaco. If anyone has a contact there, let me know!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

pumpkin: I think you are referring to Tulin! If you are on Facebook, search for Productos Tulin or contact productostulincr@gmail.com They are open to the public on Saturday's between 9 - 12. Not sure if that is for farm tours or just purchase of products. I'll see if they have a phone number on their products if you need that also. Lisa

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
197 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

It is! I will definitely go by when I am down in November. I heard from a local that they will let you "ride" a water buffalo! Not sure I am up to that, but think seeing the farm would be interesting

Riverton, Wyoming
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

Hey all you guys, thanks so much for all the suggestions. I certainly need anything helpful and all the places you've mentioned will keep me busy researching for awhile. Again, THANKS

Riverton, Wyoming
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

@ Lisa...........Since you've had friends that stayed at Jaco Beach Village, I'm wondering about bicycle rentals and if it would be worth it to rent a couple. I was hoping you might be able to ask your friends that stayed at JBV. Thanks!

Edited: 30 August 2014, 17:58
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timer to Jaco...need advise please

You are getting already some great info…let me add…avoid pirate taxi drivers…expats or locals…many of them even with a criminal record…deal with red official taxis…with the yellow triangle at the front doors…also be sure they have a a meter…we call it MARIA…Agree Manuel Antonio can be a great full day tour…just drive there if you can…not worth it taking a tour…

Also check Tortuga Island tour…nice tour…even lately some great report of a huge group of humpback Whales around there!

roadadvisor