We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay and where to rent a surfboard?

Which Jaco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Carolina
1 post
Save Topic
where to stay and where to rent a surfboard?

A buddy and I are planning a surf trip to Costa Rica in mid July for 4 days. We're both in our late 30's and grew up surfing typical east coast surf. I still live on the coast and surf fairly regularly; my friend lives 5 hours inland and gets 4 - 5 surf sessions in a year. Neither of us has been to Costa Rica before. We figure that with only 4 days, we need to head for Jaco and spend most of our time there. Wild night life is not a consideration...clean head high + surf and a fairly nice place to stay is. We want to surf hard all day, have a few beers, eat dinner and then get up and do it all over again the next day. My questions are: where should we stay and how important is it that we rent a car? With so little time I don't want to spend half of it trying to figure out what to do after we arrive. Also, what are the best arrangements for renting a board? I had planned to bring two with me, but the airline restrictions and price make it seem like renting one would be the better option. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay and where to rent a surfboard?

I suggest Clarita Beach Hotel. Located on beach in Jaco about 2 blocks north of Best Western. Clean rooms with ac for $45 or no ac for $25. You do not need or want a car in Jaco. You can walk anywhere from the beach in 10 minutes or take a cab anywhere in Jaco for about $1.

arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay and where to rent a surfboard?

I suggest Clarita Beach Hotel. Located on beach in Jaco about 2 blocks north of Best Western. Clean rooms with ac for $45 or no ac for $25. You do not need or want a car in Jaco. You can walk anywhere from the beach in 10 minutes or take a cab anywhere in Jaco for about $1.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay and where to rent a surfboard?

Hi Biffbaxley,

The Catalina Hotel which is right on the beach is very nice. It has clean rooms with a kitchen, small bbq area, a pool and very private/cozy. They can help you with everything you may need. Car rentals, transportation (which is not necessary if you are only staying in Jaco) the town is small and walking distance. After a few beers in town you can take a taxi which is like $1 and 4 minutes away. The owners are friendly and will make you feel at home. Surfing boards are easily available and around $10-15 a day. Check it out! www.hotelcatalinacr.com or email for rates info@hotelcatalinacr.com :) Good luck and have fun!

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay and where to rent a surfboard?

Hi Biffbaxley,

The Catalina Hotel which is right on the beach is very nice. It has clean rooms with a kitchen, small bbq area, a pool and very private/cozy. They can help you with everything you may need. Car rentals, transportation (which is not necessary if you are only staying in Jaco) the town is small and walking distance. After a few beers in town you can take a taxi which is like $1 and 4 minutes away. The owners are friendly and will make you feel at home. Surfing boards are easily available and around $10-15 a day. Check it out! www.hotelcatalinacr.com or email for rates info@hotelcatalinacr.com :) Good luck and have fun!