We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zip lining for kids?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
55 reviews
Save Topic
zip lining for kids?

My family will be traveling to Costa Rica in a few weeks and staying in Los Suenos. We want to take our children, ages 6 and 8 on a zip line tour. I would love any ideas/opinions/suggestions. My 6 year old only weighs about 42 pounds. Do you know if she will need her own guide to tandem to? Thanks for any feedback!

11 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: zip lining for kids?

That is a great question...most of the time...and to play it safe...it is better and almost the only way to have the guides seee if they can do it...not all the kids are the same...and with kids I will neveer take the advice giving by people that do not know my kids personally...

Soft adventure tours are nice...but any body can get hurt or even kill!

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,191 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: zip lining for kids?

The nearest zipline, Vista Los Suenos, allows kids as young as 4 but requires kids up to age 10 to ride tandem with a guide. www.canopyvistalossuenos.com/index.html

I personally would not take kids that young on a zipline, as I have been on ziplines where the youngsters were too frightened to enjoy it and as a result were very disruptive for the rest of us on the tour. But you know your kids best and maybe they like thrill rides.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
97 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: zip lining for kids?

Actually they can take any canopy the minimum age for kids is 5 years old. so they enjoy the adventure.

It is a great experience for he kids.

Edited: 06 July 2011, 21:29
Little River, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: zip lining for kids?

My daughter has ziplined in Belize and Tennessee - started at age 5 and loves it. Only you know your kids and how they will respond. I have found that companies that allow small children are used to accommodating them (special harnesses, etc.) She is quite small and required tandem on longer lines, but was able to do shorter ones solo at her request (and did a few upside down).

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: zip lining for kids?

Depends on the zipline company. For younger kids in this area I go with Chiclets just south of Jaco. I believe they are owned by the same people as the Los Suenos one, could be wrong though. Even my girlfriend, who is in her 40s has to go with a guide on some of the zips because she is very petite.

Eugene, OR
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: zip lining for kids?

We took our two sons (61/2 and 9 1/2) last year on the Sky Net Zip Line near Arenal and we had to lie since there is a age limit of 8 for that particular zip line. They had to go with a guide, mainly due to their weight, and the possibility of getting stuck in the middle. They both loved the zip lines and were not scared one bit. I guess part of it depends on the personality of your kids. Are they adventuresome and not scared of heights and being harnessed to a guide.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: zip lining for kids?

I just came back from zip lining at Los Suenos with my 5 year old. He absolutely loved it. Yes, they will assign a guide that will be tethered to him/her but the kids had a blast.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: zip lining for kids?

Just returned from Los Suenos Resorlt. Some zip line suggestions. First, if you rent a car, it is a 5 minute drive from the resort. No need to pay extra for transportation. 2) It's not a nature tour. You are traveling too fast to enjoy much scenery. 3) I was impressed with the safety precautions. Employees well trained and serious about safety. We made our reservation thru StayInCostaRica.com. located right ouside the resort. They have a toll free US # (1-866-439-5922), Call them and they can answer all your questions. 4) Zip-Lining was pretty awesome. ;-)

Edited: 18 July 2011, 18:13
Quincy...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: zip lining for kids?

We just got back from Costa Rica and did the zip lining at Chiclets (near Jaco). Our youngest is 10, and he did need to go tandem with a guide for one of the zip lines since the lighter kids tend to get stuck in the middle. So it seems it is more of a weight issue than age. This was our second experience zip lining (the first time my son was 8 and it was in Roatan. He needed to go tandem with a guide for a few zips then as well). We found this place to be safe, the guides were knowledgeable and safe, and the scenery was amazing (many of the platforms overlook the ocean).

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: zip lining for kids?

My granddaughter was 4 1/2 and went tandem with a guide and LOVED it. Her parents said it was great.

You go up in a tram. It is very professional and near Los Suenos.

rainforestadventure.com/costa_rica_pacific_t…

Edited: 27 August 2012, 21:47
Reply to: zip lining for kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Los Suenos