We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal --> Mal Pais

USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Arenal --> Mal Pais

In Mid May, I'm booking a few nights in the Mal Pais area. It's our honeymoon and I dont want to get stuck on a muddy road if it's rainy . How is the drive from Arenal to the Mal Pais area nowadays.. I searched around and told I was needed to get a 4x4 in some areas near Mal Pais.. Do the roads get really bad if it rains? Im going in May and the last thing I want is to get stuck. :)

Thanks for your feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Mal Pais
Mal Pais
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
915 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal --> Mal Pais

Okay.. So I just reserved a 4x4 for the trip from Arenal to Mal Pais. I know I need to take the Puntarenas Ferry to Paquera. I heard that the drive isn't so bad..

I'm just worried about the drive to from Paquera to Mal Pais in May. How are the road condition nowadays? I don't mind dirt roads and a few potholes. I'm just worried about crossing a river or really muddy condition. Can anyone give me any advice or am I just over exaggerating?

thanks for your help

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
915 Reviews
Mal Pais
Mal Pais
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal --> Mal Pais

Hi,

I am heading down there next week, and I'll be making the same drive. From the research I've done, it sounds like you would be better off taking the Pan-American highway to the ferry at Puntarenas. This would cut out alot of the worst roads on the northern Nicoya peninsula. I'll let you know how my drive was when I get back.

Good Luck,

Greg

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal --> Mal Pais

Anyone use Europcar car rental?

And can anyone recommend the best way to get from Manuel Antonio to Mal Pais?

We were thinking of hiring a driver from manuel antonio to mal pais. then have the car rental place drop a car off to us at the hotel....

Is this a good idea?

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Mal Pais
Mal Pais
USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arenal --> Mal Pais

I used thrifty car rental and got a mid size automatic suv for 11 days for $379.00 . Of course that doesnt include the insurance. They had a 10% off deal on their website. I thought it was a good deal and grabbed it.

A nice place
Level Contributor
934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arenal --> Mal Pais

Hi skillystons!

If you don't mind dirt roads and potholes you should drive from Arenal to Canas and from there to Limonal. From Limonal drive over the Puente de la Amistad to Playa Naranjo. This is the fastest and shortest route. You don't have to cross any rivers, the route via Puntarenas and ferry takes longer.

Hi Hiker32!

The shortest route from Manuel Antonio is via ferry from Puntarenas to Paquera. Take a look at this route planner for Costa Rica to see it: www.yourtravelmap.com

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
915 Reviews
Playa Manuel Antonio
Playa Manuel Antonio
10,792 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
St. albert,Alberta
Level Contributor
920 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arenal --> Mal Pais

We did "markonone1" route in July and it is the quicker way to Mal Pais. You can cross the bridge at Moreno, rather than waiting for the ferry. Roads were good...even the few gravel sections were fine. The gravel roads are rocky, which does make them a bit rough but at least they don't get muddy.

Mentioned in this post
Mal Pais
Mal Pais
USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arenal --> Mal Pais

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

What would be a better route if it rains? Im going in mid May so I'm sure Ill get hit with a rain shower or two. With my luck it will be the day Im traveling to Mal Pais.

Mentioned in this post
Mal Pais
Mal Pais
St. albert,Alberta
Level Contributor
920 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arenal --> Mal Pais

I'd still do the bridge route in May. We had rain in July and, as I said, the gravel sections are quite rocky so the rain really doesn't affect them to much. If you have a 4X4, you should have no problem.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arenal --> Mal Pais

I would honestly consider flying to Tambour and then renting a car or quads (cheaper and better) when you get to Mal Pais. We just did the flight with Nature Air and it was a highlight of the trip. You fly into a landing strip that is on a beach and the views are AWESOME!!!

Once you get there, nothing is more romantic then renting a quad and finding a secluded beach. I have a great recommendation for a hotel/house to rent!

Mentioned in this post
Mal Pais
Mal Pais
north of Toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arenal --> Mal Pais

Okay, I'll bite - what house did you rent?

We leave next Tuesday and are flying into SJO and then I think we will fly into Tambor and either rent a car at Tambor and drive to Malpais/Santa Teresa or get picked up and then rent quads. What kind of sevurity deposit do they want for the quads. I hate the idea of tying up my credit card with a car rental - I was told they would put a $1000 hold on my credit card on top of the rental.

We are staying 5 nights at Casa Pelicanos and then we will drive to La Fortuna/Arenal and hopefully find somewhere to stay for our last two nights.

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Tambor
Tambor
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge