We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pachamama Bungalows

Newton, MA
3 posts
Save Topic
Pachamama Bungalows

Has anyone ever stayed at this place? We can't find any reviews for it, and we are staying there all of next week....

Thank you!

texas
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Pachamama Bungalows

I was wondering the same thing. Did you wind up staying there after all? If so, what did you think?We are planning on staying there in June.

lifeizgr8
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Pachamama Bungalows

How was your stay at pachamama? We are thinking of staying there.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pachamama Bungalows

If anyone is still looking for information on Pachamama, here is the web site for the cabinas:

http://www.pacha-malpais.com/index.html

You can find some comments by doing a search on the Mal Pais forums here on TA.

It all depends on what you expect and what you feel comfortable with. Check out the site, it is very explanatory.

Newton, MA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pachamama Bungalows

We did end up staying there for a week, and we felt that for the money, it was a great place to stay! The owner Franz is an extremely friendly guy who is a big surfer, and he was always very helpful in answering any questions or jumping right on any problems that arose - the bungalow was very quiet, and had everything that we needed for a weeks stay - the 'vibe' is very laid-back, definitely not a party destination - if you are looking for a party destination, Franz has another Surf Camp down the road. The bungalow we were in shared a porch with another unit, which was good and bad - we met some very interesting people from around the world, but other times we would have rather had some privacy...overall a very good experience though. Malpais is a wonderful place, but it certainly looked like a lot of building was going on...I think paradise has unfortunately been found by the outside world!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pachamama Bungalows

Thanks for the report clv1247!

Glad to hear Pachamama worked out for you and you enjoyed the area.

San Francisco
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pachamama Bungalows

I've stayed here twice now and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. Pachamama has 2 bungalows, and I stayed in one of them on my first visit with my wife. The bungalows were constructed by Franz, the owner from Austria, who has great taste... and the bungalows are very efficient and comfortable using local and eco friendly building materials.

This time I stayed in the custom 2 bedroom/1 bath house which was an excellent value, sleeps 4 comfortably, more private, with a great outdoor space for entertaining. Again, a cool layout, the master is upstairs, all wooden floor, staircase, ceiling, with a balcony. The house has access to WIFI but the signal can get weak depending on where you are in the house... the balcony upstairs and outdoor covered "cookout" area which is a cool place to check email and make Skype calls on your iphone if necessary. But trust me, after 1 day staying here you're not really going to want to check email or make calls.

Secret Spot - You can walk/hike up the steep hill in the back of the property. This ocean view is the best I've seen, and great place to watch the sunset with a cold beer or wine.

The best part about this property is the tropical garden with amazing flowers, fruit trees, which is really a nice ambiance to find your inner peace.

The owner, Franz, is always available to answer your questions before and during your stay. I'd recommend booking early, a few months in advance because it can fill up.

To get here: I recommend flying on Sansa ( http://www.flysansa.com/ ) which you can book a RT ticket in advance for about $150 USD

You can also rent a car ( puravidarentacar.com/costa_rica_car_rental.h… ) where you can rent a car (get a 4X4) the drive takes about 4-5 hours and consists of a ferry ride.

Things to know: If you fly here you'll need an ATV, bike, or something to get around.

Franz has ATV's and bikes for rent which you can book in advance

Distances:

Supermarket - 5 minutes on an ATV

Bank - 5 minutes away on an ATV

Good food - 5 minutes on an ATV

note: "Brisas del Mar" has great food and an amazing view!

"El Pulpo" amazing pizzas, owed and operated by Argentinos

"Mary's" excellent seafood

"Piedra Mar" great food , comidas tipicas with fresh fish, the owners

catch the fish they serve.

- note - it is not difficult to find great food here.

Things to do (again Franz can help you schedule)

Surfing - lessons and board rental are both available at Pachamama

Fishing - Excellent fishing - the chartered boats leave from minutes down the road. Fishing with a guide/boat is about $40 per hour.

Sport and Fly Fishing - also great, Franz can help you book

Kiting - The wind can be uncertain here, but you could have some luck... If you're looking for a place to kite, ask Franz about a trip to Nicaragua.

You can email Franz directly at pachamamamalpais@yahoo.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pachamama Bungalows

Thank you nice report...and good to know that we can reccomend PACHAMAMA!

Luis

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pachamama Bungalows

When you say to get there fly Sansa...Is the airport open now?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pachamama Bungalows

Bookmarking. :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pachamama Bungalows

Sorry for my question about the airport. I saw Pachamama and though Punta Uva. Didn't see "Mal Pais".