We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surfboard theft?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
surfboard theft?

I've read SO much about theft from cars in CR and every related post says not to leave anything in your car. My question is, what if we are driving to a surf break with a soft rack (bringing from home) on our rental jeep, and then we want to stop for lunch somewhere on the beach (somewhere casual where they don't mind semi-wet folks) before going back to our villa, will our (rental) surfboards get stolen from the jeep? It is pretty easy to just cut a soft rack...

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: surfboard theft?

Usually eat within sight of my car

so I can keep an eye on things...

Thieves will somtimes try to puncture a tire

run a scam that way too...

so be careful

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: surfboard theft?

Are you serious? Is CR really this bad these days? I don't get how it is so popular when all this crap is going on? I mean, I'm well traveled and have been on various TA forums and never have I read such a high number of negative experiences due to theft!

smalltown
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: surfboard theft?

No, it's not that theft is any worse in Costa Rica than any tourist destination. It's just sooo laid back that people forget it is the real world and they leave their common sense at home. Not saying things don't happen that are just bad luck and timing BUT it's no worse than any other tourist destination. If you practice common sense you shouldn't have a problem. I've had a home here for a long time and have NEVER had an issue with robbery. Out of the millions of tourists that travel to Costa Rica the number of these incidents is relatively small. I think it's good though that people report on here so if there is a rental car flat tire scam that seems to be going on people are aware.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: surfboard theft?

Theft in Costa Rica is like every other tourist country in Latinoamerica. The most commom problem is the people been robbeb out of rent a cars offices. In the case of your surf boards they arent going to take them, they are to heavy and dificul to transport. Just used your commom sense and park in places where is good light or popple are walking around and if you eat at a place where you can see your car even better.NATUREGUIDE

smalltown
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: surfboard theft?

BTW, maybe your reading so many bad things just like what you just posted. You posted a title "surfboard theft". Very negative post and nothing happened to you. You just put it out there and now others will read it and get freaked out. Just because you posted a "what if". You answered your own question in your post. If it's easy to steal your surfboard then don't leave it on your car. It's as simple as that. It is a developing country and if you leave something on or in your car in plain sight, a poor person could see it as an easy thing to grab. Just like in Mexico, or Bali, or anywhere else in the world. It could happen. But why waste time being negative? Costa Rica is beautiful. The people are very kind and giving. Is there crime? No worse than anywhere else in the world. Safer than many places. There is a reason it is becoming so popular. Concentrate on the good, use your head and you should love it and have a great time. If your that paro-go somewhere else!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: surfboard theft?

findtherealtruth99 - I did put a ? in the title, which should indicate that it was a question, not a report. It was specific to people who visit that area to surf(since there are apparently a lot). I was trying to figure out how to take preventative measures when transporting surfboards.

I've traveled all over (though haven't been in CR since the 90s), and over the past year I've been to Mexico 3x (all over Riviera Maya, and also Sayulita to surf). When reading posts for those places, I never read anything about theft. Nor did I worry too much while I was there - we were very casual with our stuff and had no problems at all. I guess I'll just be a lot more careful in Costa Rica. I just wanted to know about surfboard security in particular. Thanks anyhow.

By the way, I've booked my trip already, and obviously people are still flocking to CR since the cost of higher end lodging is much higher than many "developing countries" I've visited, so I don't think my question will put many people off. Maybe it will help them if anyone offers specific advice.

Anyhow, thanks!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: surfboard theft?

(Although, I guess I could have titled it "Surfboard Security", now that you mention it. Oh well, not sure how to change the title now.)

Santa teresa...
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: surfboard theft?

Rental boards hardly ever get stolen because most of them are tagged to the rental companies and they watch each others backs. Personal boards, I would not leave alone at night but if you park on the road, which is pretty much the only option from Mal Pais all the way to Manzanillo, during the day for lunch, you should be fine. The thieves down there are opportunists. JUST BE SMART...and dont create the opportunity. If you leave your backpack on the beach full of cool things like expensive sunglasses, digital cameras, money, passport, etc. and go run down into the water to swim, don"t be surprised if someone runs out of the jungle and snatches your pack and runs away. Leave your valuables at home.

Frank

www.shakasurfcamp.com

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: surfboard theft?

Thank you Frank, that was a very helpful response re: surfboards.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,869 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: surfboard theft?

Costa Rica is as bad as Miami or Pensacola...

If you stop for lunch or anything else just keep your car as close as you can see it from what ever you are!

just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise

roadadvisor@hotmail.com