We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surfboard theft?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
428 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
surfboard theft?

I've read SO much about theft from cars in CR and every related post says not to leave anything in your car. My question is, what if we are driving to a surf break with a soft rack (bringing from home) on our rental jeep, and then we want to stop for lunch somewhere on the beach (somewhere casual where they don't mind semi-wet folks) before going back to our villa, will our (rental) surfboards get stolen from the jeep? It is pretty easy to just cut a soft rack...

Canopy del Pacifico Mal Pais
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Jobbie's Long Boards
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: surfboard theft?

I have alternated going to Sayulita one year then Costa Rica the next for about the past 14 years. I was staying in a nice place in Sayulita last year and there were a rash of thefts, including laptops from inside of rooms. I have not had anything stolen from either place, but have heard of thefts in both places.

When we as tourists show up with nice stuff and leave it lying around we invite theft. Use common sense and you'll be fine, don't and you'll loose stuff anywhere.

I feel comfortable enough about Costa Rica that I'm heading down with my wife and 7 and 8 year old kids this Friday. I have seen Tamarindo change some, but still enjoy it and stay just outside of town. Go in with an open mind and a carefull eye and you'll have a great time. Costa Rica is a great contry with wonderfull people, I always refer to it as a safe adventure.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
428 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: surfboard theft?

Surfdad - we just went to Sayulita a couple of wknds ago for a quick 3 nighter surf trip (we don't have time for a proper honeymoon until January, which is when we're going to CR.

In Sayulita, we stayed outside of town in a place with no locks on the rooms, and my hubby left stuff out that I think he shouldn't have, but maybe b/c we were so isolated, or maybe the place was just nice enough, nothing was taken. On the other hand, I left my bathing suit cover-up with the surfboard rental shop rather than on the beach, since we had been warned :). So yeah - precautions!

Out of curiosity, where did you stay in Sayulita, and did you like it (other than the thefts)?

Enjoy your trip!

MD
Level Contributor
361 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: surfboard theft?

venicegirl, I wouldn't worry about what findthetruth99 said. Your post title was not negative. It was quite clear to me that you were simply asking a quetion. The point of this forum is to share information, not to scold people. It's good to be informed so you can be better prepared.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about a rented board. Thieves would have a hard time selling something with the rental company's name on it. Have a great trip!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
428 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: surfboard theft?

Thanks Bluemoon319!

Santa teresa...
14 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: surfboard theft?

You are quite welcome, hope your having a blast.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: surfboard theft?

Spot on with the title. I googled surfboard theft and nothing came up, did the same in trusty TA and found your post. I am wondering the same thing. I want to surf Boca Barranca and eat lunch in Puntarenas but how do I do this with a surf board strapped on my car? I guess the rental company will probably give se advice on this. So pumped for my trip in one month!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: surfboard theft?

No worries Venicegirl! You did ask a question, even in the title! ShakaCR Frank is so right! Plus, it is a bit harder for a thief to get a board off the top of a vehicle than to just walk by a small bag of cool stuff and pick it up....to disappear into the jungles of lalalandia.

Keep your vehicle and boards in sight if you are worried, or stuff them into the vehicle while you are at a soda. Thieves that want to get into vehicles know how to pop the locks too. Most of the time they are opportunists, so just keep ahead of them and don't give them the opportunity to rip you off. If you can't afford to lose it, don't bring it. If you bring it, keep it with you or locked up. You can still have a good time and relax, just don't tempt the thieves! In 13 years, we've been thieved three times, the first time was the worst....the thief 'fished' (using a long tree branch) through the bars on the windows and lifted a Seiko dive watch, after that it was stupid stuff (bricks and drain pipe and alarm clock, reading light, extension cord), we just didn't give them the opportunity to take anything expensive, it just gets annoying and inconvenient more than anything!

18. Re: surfboard theft?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Mal Pais
Recent Conversations