We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

Which Mal Pais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

Hi, guys! We were looking at staying at Casa Chameleon for a future trip. Has anyone stayed there? What did you think?

Also, what would you recommend we do in the Mal Pais area? Are there good places to spot wildlife? Any fun adventure activities? Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Housotn
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

I'd like to know as well. I just booked our honeymoon there today for March of next year. Hey, I'm from Houston too; That'd be awsome if we were there at the same time... Texans taking over!!!! =-P

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

Stayed there a few years ago great food remote

surfing lots of wildlife at nearby Cabo Blanco NP

oldest in CR...liked it a lot a cut above.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

Thanks gwo, how long does it take to get to Cabo Blanco from there? Are taxis available in that area, or do you need to have a car?

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

Swift, congrats on your marriage! CC looks like a wonderful place for a honeymoon!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

vg - it takes about 45 minutes over a dirt road. Taxi's are available, you can arrange a time for them to come back and get you. However if you're staying at CC I would have a car anyway since it's up off the road and would be a good amount of walking to get food or the beach. Also check for the closing times at the park, when I was there they were only open 5 days a week.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

Thanks, midori - do you know if there's a place in Mal Pais where we could rent a car?

Are there any other activities you guys would recommend in Mal Pais?

Any restaurant suggestions would be awesome too.

Housotn
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

Budget has a new rental car place in Mal Pais. Don't know how big it is though, I just saw it online today when I was looking. I know that Tambor has a Budget place there as well, which is what I will most likely be doing, since we will be flying from San Jose. Ok, here's an open question to anyone who knows... What's the deal with Budget's rental prices? I go to their Costa Rica website and I get quoted $250 more than the main/U.S. website, for same car, dates, coverage, etc. I have called Budgets U.S. and Non-U.S. customer service centers to have yet to receive an answer of 1) why this is the case and 2) if the local Costa Rica office will offer the booking price, if I book through the main budget.com web site (which does have Tambor as a location). I now have two e-mails, one to each Budget location (U.S. and non U.S.) to see if I can get an answer. If anyone has any info. or has experienced this before, please let us know. Thanks.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

I would check out Solid too. I just rented with them in Dominical but pretty sure they have a place in MP/ST too. Great rates, and I'd see if they have a discount thru your hotel which is often the case. The beach of course is great, if you walk down Santa Teresa beach (away from Mal Pais) they have some great tide pools and calmer waters. The canopy tour is okay, about $35 I think if you want to do that. The place Camelon (I think is the spelling) had great food, it's on the ST side. Most places I ate were just little sodas/small restaurants; you'll find the wider range of places to eat in ST right after the crossroads. Other than the canopy tour and the day at Cabo Blanco I didn't "do" much for 6 nights, just wandered around the beaches and relaxed! Great place to do it.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

Is Mal Pais consistently dry and dusty? We really love how green CR is in July when we usually go - does it ever get green like that in Mal Pais?

I guess the good news is less rain on the trip!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How is Casa Chameleon and Mal Pais?

Hi Volcanogirl!

Mal Pais and area is green and lush in Nov. and early Dec. The dust begins to fly around the end of Dec., beginning of Jan. and gets more and more dusty into May when the rains begin.

Alamo is another rental car agency in the area.