We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

Nashville
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

Hey there Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what I should expect from the grocery stores/ markets in the Malpais and Montezuma area? My extended family and I will be staying in the St Teresa area over Thanksgiving and are thinking of putting together a big spread with perhaps a large chunk of meat and some nice wines. I'm concerned that our choices will be extremely limited. If the meat thing doesn't work out, which would be no huge deal, could someone please recommend the best place to buy fresh fish and veggies?

How about the best beer and wine (for at-home use) selection in the area?

And finally, regarding preparing at-home meals, do you recommend we 'sanitize' our veg, or are we good to go with just a thorough rinsing?

I guess there is always the option of bringing in from San Jose (recommendations there?)...

Your thoughts?

Thanks so, so, so much!!

J

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Product C
££ - £££, Seafood
The Bakery
££ - £££, French, American, Cafe
Las Piedras
££ - £££, Steakhouse, Latin, Barbecue
San Diego, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

I just returned from a few days in Santa Teresa..which was great. Mal Pais is not really a "town". There is one road which runs parallel to the beach and along the road is the hotels. There are no stores, etc. Santa Teresa is about a 30 minute walk or 10-15 minute bike ride north along that same road. Santa Teresa is where the town is...stores, restaurants, surf shops, car rentals, banks, etc. There is a pretty decent selection in the grocery store. I was surprised at how much variety they had. I know there are places to buy fresh seafood right in Santa Teresa, but I can't recall the exact spot. There is beer/wine at the store and I also saw a liquor store across the street from the bank. Its a pretty small town-everything is on that same road so you can't miss anything. Good luck and have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Mal Pais
Mal Pais
Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

Hi!

I am going to send you to two sites that will give you maps that will show you where to find stores, fish market, and pretty much everything else you want to know.

http://nicoyapeninsula.com

www.nicoyazoom.com

You will find a large variety of food in the many grocery stores in Santa Teresa. The grocery stores also sell wine, beer and a small selection of other beverages. A small store near the banks sell a larger selection of 'hard' liquor.

A vegetable and fruit store across from Tropico Latino Hotel and gets fresh supplies a number of times a week and has a large selection.

You will find that a lot of the meat in the stores is frozen. If you want fresh, you will have to drive into Cobano and buy from one of the two butchers stores. You will also find a great deli in Cobano that has imported and local deli meat and cheese and Italian food.

There is also an organic market in on Saturdays in Santa Teresa.

We always wash the fruit and veggies thoroughly before use, even if you are going to peel off the outside skin, just to be sure.... Many pesticides are used in Costa Rica that are not used in N. America.

If you are going to look for a turkey, you will have to special order one from one of the grocers and they will bring one in. The cost is about 2 to 3 times that of a turkey you would buy at home.

Beef is very tough unless it is imported from the US or Argentina (Costa Rica's beef is not 'hung', so is not tender). The chicken and pork is very good.

Hope this answers most of your questions!

Enjoy your visit, you are going to be in the area during a beautiful time of the year (the area will still be green and lush, no dust flying yet!).

Mentioned in this post
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Hotel Tropico Latino
Hotel Tropico Latino
639 Reviews
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
517 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

Be sure to stock up on their bacon. Costa Rica has the tastiest bacon---and it's very lean.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

Even that you will find some good wine...is better idea if you bring the one you like from SAn Jose...or even USA!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
United States
United States
North America
Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,188 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

We were surprised at how many American products are in the grocery stores in CR; we saw Yoplait, all the same breakfast cereals we see in the US, Minute Maid, Coke, Frito Lay - most of the big names are there. For beer, we really like Imperial.

Santiago
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

Dominique:

The organic Market are working all saturdays at 3 pm,

in front of Playa El Carmen, at side of Pizzeria Playa El Carmen, Is more pricey with reference to the supermarket vegetables but is wonderful and fresh.

-If you can buy food to prepare in San Jose, I can warranty, you can obtain better beef and others, check www.gourmetimports.co.cr, may be the guy can help you, we work with these in our restaurant.

-If you like buy wine, the supermarket have good offer, more in Hipermas in San Jose.

-We have a Restaurant named Alma, if you like check our exclusive line of Chilean Wines, your welcome, we have Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz, Chardonay and Savignon Blanc.

-About the supermarket, the best is in Cobano named megasuper, here in Santa Teresa the guys change the price day by day.

regards

Rodrigo

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

Chilean wines are the most inexpensive and there is a wide selection. Even the 1 liter boxed Chilean wine is not bad. Wine from the US and Europe is expensive.

If you buy wine or beer in a restaurant, your beverage bill is often more than the amount you will pay for your food. The mark-up is outrageous!

Santa Teresa and Mal Pais has a huge selection of restaurants to choose from (you will notice this when you check out the sites I posted earlier). Although many of the restaurant (and accommodation owners) frequent TA forums, most follow the rules to not advertise their places, some continue to plug their business in a round-about method, so please be aware that there is plenty to choose from in this area.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Mal Pais
Mal Pais
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
59 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

For great wine you could also contact Sebastian who lives in Santa Teresa and is the distributor of mostly Argentinian wines to many of the restaurants and hotels here. He has them delivered from San Jose to your doorstep for you, so you don't have to worry about them sitting around in this heat! His email is saboresargentinos.nicoya@yahoo.com (speaks english too). He's very reliable and has great prices for great wines. Don't buy them from restaurants (too much $$) and don't buy from the grocery stores (often off - I even have bad luck with this in San Jose).

Be wary of Megasuper in Cobano if you pay in cash. They love to shortchange.

Best place for fish/seafood in town is Product C in the Playa Carmen "mall" at the crossroads.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
San Jose
San Jose
Playa Carmen
Playa Carmen
143 Reviews
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
65 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

We were just in the MalPais/Santa Teresa area. The grocery stores were well stocked! We went to Ronni's in Santa Teresa for each of the dinners we prepared. Over all thoughts are:

-- stop at duty free in the airport and get wine. It's crazy cheap and much better than what we found there.

-- we stocked up on liquor at duty free and could have paid the same discounted prices for some liquors at the local grocery stores.

-- if you want to incorporate some dining and activities into your trip, we went deep sea fishing. We caught a few big fish, which we used to make fish dinners and fish taco lunches. It's only $50 an hour for the group, which is crazy cheap compared to the U.S.

-- veges and any side dishes (rice, potatoes, etc.) were readily available at the market.

-- good beer selection at the market, but imports can get pricey. The local beers are good though.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Nashville
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries, beer & wine in the Malpais area

You guys are AWESOME!!! Thanks very much for all the great info.

Get answers to your questions about Mal Pais
Recent Conversations