We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on schedule

Which Mal Pais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
762 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on schedule

So we are going to Costa Rica for our honeymoon next May. Looking to do some adventure, relaxation, a little forest and beach time. This is what we came up with so far.

Land in SJO, stay 1 night.

Shuttle to Arenal/La Fortuna for 3 nights.

Van-boat-van ride to Monteverde for 2 nights.

Shuttle to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa for 4 nights.

Shuttle to San Jose, stay 1 night.

Next morning, flight back home.

Also, what are the average travel times between the locations? Do you think that we have enough days at each location? We are at Mal Pais the longest because we're staying in a more luxury hotel for our "relaxation" portion, but we still want to do things - do you think there's enough to keep us busy for 4 days there?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on schedule

Ops I think is a duplicate!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
63 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on schedule

We just returned from Costa Rica and did a very similar schedule. We started in Arenal and then headed to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa. The trip between the two is long. I slept most of the way, but it is long. We started at 8am and arrived at our hotel around 2pm. From what I can tell, that is pretty typical. So, keep the long distance in mind.

The only thing I might change is the Monteverde part. I know you can get to and from Arenal to Monteverde in a day. It was an excursion that several companies offered. It is something to consider as changing hotels three times may cut into your relaxation!

I will say that you are going to incredible locations! If you are looking for adventure, everyone in our group loved the canyoning/repelling in Arenal! Hands down a big favorite. The horsepack riding on the beach in Mal Pais was amazing too. My husband and I honeymooned in French Polynesia (Bora Bora, Tahaa and Moorea) and we thought the horseback riding in CR was a hundred times better!

I can't comment on the trip from San Jose to either location as we flew in and out of Liberia in the North.

Enjoy your trip!

3. Re: Advice on schedule

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 04:05
4. Re: Advice on schedule

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 06:23