We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November trip to Mal Pais

New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
November trip to Mal Pais

In November I will be staying for a week in Mal Pais Costa Rica. I am having a terrible time figuring out what to wear and how best to prepare for mosquitos. I will be surfing every day and making only one or two excursions (ATV, zipline etc.). I will be eating dinners in restaurants each night.

Firstly, do I need many sweaters and sweatshirts for the evenings? How warm of a jacket or none at all? Should my husband bring multiple pairs of long pants? Etc. And are sneakers good enough, or must we bring hiking boots?

Secondly, I hate the idea of deet, but is it necessary there? Anyone know what's used locally there? Thanks so much!

Canopy del Pacifico Mal Pais
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Jobbie's Long Boards
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November trip to Mal Pais

You will not need a sweater, nor a sweatshirt, even in the evenings. You might consider a longsleeved light fabric shirt if you are concerned about mosquitoes. Nov. can and might be a bit humid, if the green season stretches longer because it has been unseasonably dry up to now and weather patterns are pretty messed up. If that is the case, make sure your clothes are quick drying. Your husband should bring at least one pair of long pants especially if you are going to be in San Jose. Shorts are not the norm in the city, but they are acceptable in and around beach towns. Sneakers are good enough, but if you are intending on hiking, light hiking shoes or off-trail shoes are best, but you will be spending a lot of your time wearing flip-flops or Keens-like water shoes.

There is insect repellent without deet, Cutter Advance has picaridin which doesn't have an odor and doesn't eat synthetics, but has to be applied more often than a deet product. Also, natural insect repellents are commonly found in North American health-food stores and REI and contain citronella, teatree oil, eucalyptus oil, and a number of other things. I use a citronella based natural insecticide and apply it more often than a deet based product. Not only do you want to stay away from mosquitoes at night, day time mozzies are bad because they could be carrying dengue which you can't take any medication to avoid, so deet may not sound as bad as it is, or reapply whatever you bring more often! Locally, Off is sold in every store and works as long as you remember to use it!

Have a wonderful time in the area!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November trip to Mal Pais

Thank you very much for the detailed response! It is very, very helpful. I was really torn about the warm clothes issue. So hard to judge from the information that is out there. Not to mention, being in New Jersey right now, its a little hard to imagine being anywhere in November where I don't even need a sweatshirt in the evening!

Thanks Again.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November trip to Mal Pais

I totally hear you! I always bring way too many clothes and end up not wearing most of what I lug down there. I usually pack once, then repack a second time. Now, I make notes to myself on what I need and didn't use the last time. It's really difficult to keep track of what clothes we leave in Costa Rica and what we bring back. You will seldom need warm clothes on the beach, especially coming down there from a cold climate. Sometimes San Jose can get chilly....but it isn't even close to weather in our northern climates!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November trip to Mal Pais

Thanks for the input. I've decided at most I'll pack one sweatshirt, as I will be spending all my time on the beach except for one trek to do a zip line. Thanks again for writing back.

5. Re: November trip to Mal Pais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2010, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Mal Pais
Recent Conversations