We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

Gloucester, MA
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

Hello

My boyfriend are going to be in the Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area from July 14th- 18th. We are looking for an affordable place to stay that is walkable to the beach and also some restaurants. We don't mind some walking. Also it would be nice if it has a pool and breakfast included, but those aren't musts. We have found the following four hotels. What would you choose out of:

Frank's Place

Ritmo Tropical (and does anyone know there current rate, I haven't gotten an email response yet)

The Place

or Mal Pais Surf School

ANY ADVICE???

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,474 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

Ooops a dupe..

Roadadvisor

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

You can check this site for comparisons, maps and rates:

www.nicoyazoom.com/en/hotel-guide/index.html

Ritmo is within walking distance of the beach as well as many restaurants and bars.

I would stay at Ritmo if I was looking for a room in the area.

montezuma
Level Contributor
14 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

Frank´s Place, Ritmo Tropical and The Place are next to each other, Malpais Surf Camp is a bit further away but still very close to the commercial hub.

This is down to taste and budget because they are all nice and well established. Both Frank´s Place and Ritmo Tropical have busy onsite restaurants. All have swimming pools. I guess if you want A/C at an affordable price, cable TV, free internet use, WiFi, then Frank´s Place is your best option.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

Here is what I got back from Ritmo, it took awhile to get back to me also

Prices vary depending on the number of people below the prices for many people.

1 person: $ 50

2 person: $ 60

3 people: $ 70

4 person: $ 80

Room includes private bathroom with hot water, TV, mini fridge, RoofFan, Ac, safe and free Wi-Fi.

The hotel also has swimming pool and restaurant service.

montezuma
Level Contributor
14 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

Are you sure Ritmo Tropical has rooms with A/C? I am pretty sure that they only have fans

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

On the Zoom web site, Ritmo has AC checked, so I guess they offer that option. It seems that more and more places are putting AC into their rooms these days.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

I read the reviews before so I specifically asked them if they had A/C and they said they did. I'm not going there until August so I can't speak first hand but according to the manager there they have A/C now.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

vld3233:

Could you please post a report when you return? It seems like there is a need here for some information on the Ritmo. Have a great time!

Newport, Rhode...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

Hello,

I have been trying to contact the Ritmo as well. I called twice and asked them to e-mail me and still no response? I have also e-mailed them directly and haven't heard anything. The reservations on their website don't work. I would like to stay here, but can't seem to get any information. I have spoken with a guy named Jonathan and another guy. Any suggestions? About how long did it take them to respond to you?

Any help is appreciated!!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mal Pais/Santa Teresa Options

I emailed the address on their website, I wrote one and they didn't get back to me. So I tried again in Spanish and this time they got back to me (my Spanish is horrible so I used Google translate for some of it and I guess it made enough sense). I don't know if that made a difference or not because in future emails Jonathon and I talked back and forth in English. So I'm not sure what to tell you, maybe try the first email in Spanish and then ask if if you can communicate in English if you need to. He was very helpful once I got in touch with him.