We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

BC
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

We have been in touch with Tropico Latino and they have a beach front a/c bungalow available for us and they provide the services we are looking for to have a ceremony on the beach but.......

I haven't been able to find enough reviews about the place, so I am calling on ANYONE who has stayed here to speak up. It looks just our style and budget (we are young, eloping, and have a six week honeymoon to follow) and the beach looks perfect. But we love food (and plan to sample other restaurants in the area) and want everything to go smoothly. We plan to stay for 4 or 5 nights at the end of April. Suggestions for other places welcome (aside from Flor Blanca and Milarepa), unfortunately the Casa Chameleon is booked during our time, we were considering a splurge there! We will have another 10 days in Costa Rica to explore other areas but are pretty set on MalPais/Santa Theresa for the wedding.

Thanks SO MUCH for any suggestions, advice, opinions and experiences!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Canopy del Pacifico Mal Pais
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Jobbie's Long Boards
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
BC
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

I'll post again to get this bumped up. If you have stayed at Tropico Latino, please rate it.... I will be booking in the next couple of weeks and I want to know everything I can about it, good and bad.

Thank you!

United States
Level Contributor
3 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

We haven't been there--yet. Our 31-year-old son and his fiance will be returning (for the second or third trip to Tropico Latino) in late February for a sunset wedding on March 1. As I understand it, they have reserved the entire resort. Apparently they think it great or they wouldn't be going back. They commented on how fresh the fish is, how great the surf is, and the jungle is right at the door.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but will know more when we return in March.

BRISTOL
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

I haven't stayed there but went there for sunset cocktails a number of times . It looks beautiful the pool area is lovely and situated about 100m from the beach and next to the restaurant .

The area adjoining the beach is full of people relaxing and getting massages etc . The cabins are all in amongst trees and plants so seem to have a fair amount of privacy although those furthest from the beach are within good earshot of a fairly busy road so could be a bit noisy . All the cabins are fairy close to one another and I didn't see inside .

The staff were very nice and the menu really good . Hope this helps

BC
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

Thanks so much for your responses! It sounds lovely, and we have reserved the bungalow that is right on the beach, one of a few newer ones I think...their website does not mention spa services but I was happy to hear from the proprieter who I have been in contact with that we will be able to get a massage on our wedding day. Heavenly!

Thanks again

Still encouraging any reviews and info on Tropico Latino!

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

Hi Julala,

I was married in Costa Rica Manuel Antonio last January 2005 and it was the most amazing! The beauty was unreal and something out of a storybook. We went to Santa Teresa/Malpais afterwards and had a great/relaxing/wonderful time. We stayed at Luz de Vida hotel which is right nextdoor to Tropico Latino. Luz de Vida and Tropico Latino seem very comprable. I had a great time there. I recharged my battery. They are both very clean, relaxed, and right next to each other. I would recommend Tropico Latino without any hesitation. I don't know how they would be with a wedding. If it's only going to be the two of you, I wouldn't worry. The only thing I learned from my wedding in Costa Rica is that since you are leaving the details to someone else, make sure you are CERTAIN you know what you are paying for. The wedding was inexpensive, there were only 14 of us. I found an amazing lawyer (officiant) and have become friends with her. She's a Costa Rican local and she gave it her personal touch. I can put you in contact with her if you'd like. She was fluent in spanish and english. I found an amazing photographer Bruno. The web address is: info@weddingphotographerincostarica.com I don't know what your expectations are but it was very important for me to have a good photographer. I found out later that some hotels tell you that they have a photographer but it usually is someone with a cheap camera and no experience. If you want flowers, make certain you're specific about this. Cost can range greatly and they may have to fly the flowers in from San Jose which could increase the price. All we had was my bouquet, my husband's lei, and some flowers for the cake. They were all orquids but still only cost about $200.00 U.S. Don't forget to be specific about what you want and how much you're willing to spend. We started eloping because of cost but then it turned into a very small wedding. It was still pretty inexpensive and wonderful. You are going to love yours!!! I can give you better details if interested.

From Santa Teresa we went to Monteverde and stayed at Finca Val Verde. It's Tico owned and romantic. Ask for the "cabinas". Don't forget to tell folks you're on your honeymoon and want somewhere private if that's what you're looking for. Sometimes they will throw in something for free or upgrade you for free.

As far as time of year. April is beginning the rainy season I think but I don't really know what that time of year is like. You may get discounts on everything because of it. You may want to have plan B for indoors if it rains. Either way, you'll love it I'm sure!!! The sunset is around 5:30-6:00 pm every day.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy and good luck. Let me know if you want further details.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Monteverde
Monteverde
Daytona Beach, FL
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

Julala,

We have been to Mal Pais a few times-LOVE IT! Never stayed at Tropico Latino because we stay in a private rental house that is on the beach a few doors down. We ate there and walked the grounds and pool area. It is very nice. I did not see inside the rooms but from the outside they look great. The beach is beautiful in front and you are just steps away. While you are there try Luz de Vida for lunch, Milarepa and Florblanca for a nice, romantic (pricey) dinner and you HAVE to go to Mary's for the best fresh seafood (she's in tight with the local fisherman...they go from the boat to her place with the daily catch). Menu shows pizza and mexi food, but there is a daily specials board with sesame encrusted ahi in peanut sause, tuna sashimi, etc-all for under $10. Playa de Artistas is AWESOME in Montezuma, and it is open for lunch if you don't want to drive at night. Good Luck!!

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
Daytona Beach, FL
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

Julala,

We have been to Mal Pais a few times-LOVE IT! Never stayed at Tropico Latino because we stay in a private rental house that is on the beach a few doors down. We ate there and walked the grounds and pool area. It is very nice. I did not see inside the rooms but from the outside they look great. The beach is beautiful in front and you are just steps away. While you are there try Luz de Vida for lunch, Milarepa and Florblanca for a nice, romantic (pricey) dinner and you HAVE to go to Mary's for the best fresh seafood (she's in tight with the local fisherman...they go from the boat to her place with the daily catch). Menu shows pizza and mexi food, but there is a daily specials board with sesame encrusted ahi in peanut sause, tuna sashimi, etc-all for under $10. Playa de Artistas is AWESOME in Montezuma, and it is open for lunch if you don't want to drive at night. Good Luck!!

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
auckland
Level Contributor
159 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

Question for Wannabeatica....

Hey, I noticed that you mentioned that you stay in a private rental at Mal Pais, do you mind if I asked you a couple of questions? We are coming over for a couple of weeks late June with our five kids, and meeting family, all up between 10-12 people, depending on who shows!

We are looking for a rental, or hotel, that can accommodate us in comfort. I am torn between booking a hotel that provides some food ie breakfast, and has us being fully looked after, or a rental house that means we can all relax and eat together.

Can you recommend a house, close to beach or beachfront? With a pool?

Have emailed a couple from the net, but yet to hear back, aside from one called Milla la Maria.

Would love any advice, thanks so much.

Daytona Beach, FL
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

Debnz,

Sorry for the delay-have been away. There are a zillion (ok, a lot) it just depends on what your requirements (how nice or how rustic).

Here are a few good websites with a few listings

www.costarica-beachrentals.com

www.malpais.net

www.greatrentals.com (then go to Costa Rica link)

http://www.3monos.com (this is 2 houses that you can rent togeather-really nice, but no a/c)

This is where we stay: www.hotelcasaazul.com

We have rented out the suite for 5 of us. This time we are going to be 9 and are renting the suite plus the 2 downstairs rooms. Between the house and a little casita he just built, he can accomodate 10-14. Conincidently, as of right now, he has opeings in June. His name is Richard and his email is info@casaazul.com (tell 'em Lisa sent you!)

I almost didn't want to post it-now it'll probably be booked next time I want to go back!! ~smile.

Good Luck and have fun.

P.S. If you feel like laying down some serious money- $1000+ a night...on www.costarica-beachrentals.com the March House and Casa Encantada are both beautiful. Last time we were there, we met someone staying at the March House and took a tour and also met the owner/builder of Casa Encantada and took a tour of it just as they were finishing it up. Really cool-

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
United States
Level Contributor
3 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropico Latino (or other Mal Pais/Santa Theresa options for...

In an earlier post I mentioned that my son was getting married at Tropico Latino and I would review it when I returned. Got back Tuesday, and here is the report. Perhaps some of these items are more basic than you need, but anyway, here goes.

First, the facility looks to have been built in the 1970s, but I am informed that it is less than 10 years old. The rooms are very large and appear to be well built and well kept. Some from our group complained about not having hot water. Our room had it, but it was inconsistent--made for interesting showers, hot one minute cold the next.

The restaurant is excellent. Our only complaint was that there are no fans in the outdoor restaurant and it was quite hot. We discovered that ordering from the menu resulted in the same outstanding food as the specials--at about half of the price.

I seriously caution you about reservations, however. When we got there we discovered that they had overbooked (rented out 12 of the 11 rooms), and for a while it looked like the parents of the groom (us) would have to stay as far as 15 minutes away, without a car! The problem was resolved when one of the young couples in our group was willing to room with two single men.

Our second reservation problem was that they denied having received the deposit from one person in our group. They quickly backed down when told it had been wired to Citibank.

Reservation problem number three happened on the wedding day. Apparently the management misunderstood that the reservations were for seven nights and told the bride that they would charge each of us for eight nights to make up for their lost revenue. Obviously this was not correct and was highly inappropriate for the wedding day, when we would be there a few days after the wedding.

Our final reservation problem was that they decided to rent two of our rooms out from under us the last night. Both rooms had been prepaid, and the money was refunded. However, the parents of the bride and the maid of honor were forced to spend the last night with other members of our party. We found out later that the new renters had been coming for a few years, which must have meant more to the managers than keeping their promise to our group. So, be VERY specific with the management and don't let them get away with anything.

Now, a general comment. The trip to and from the San Jose airport took over 6 hours by van. We allowed a full day for the trip, which included a 1 1/2 hour ferry ride. Probably the best place to stay near the airport is the Hampton Inn, which is less than 5 minutes away. It is a new hotel--about a year old with the typical Hampton amenities. However, because it is so close to the airport it was a bit loud at times. We bought a few souvenirs at their gift shop and found the same items at the airport with prices about 30% higher.

This is a long post, but I hope it is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions or would like my observations about anything else.

Get answers to your questions about Mal Pais
Recent Conversations