We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mango Farms in South Nicoya?

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mango Farms in South Nicoya?

I have been traveling to Costa Rica for 7 years and have been spending a lot of time in the Tamarindo and Montezuma area renting. I want to move to Costa Rica in the next few years and possibly purchase a mango farm in the south nicoya. Does anyone know of any mango farms to visit in the area to speak with their management about the business?

THANKS!!!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mango Farms in South Nicoya?

You look pretty ripped to be a Mango Farmer, but okay...

Mango farms are everywhere, small and large. Cant speak to any specifically, but once you are on the ground it will be easy to find one close by, they are truly everywhere.

Food for thought (no pun) there really isnt a lot of money in Mangos... hope you dont think to get rich on it, it will be a simple existence, which is a fine way to live, but know you will not be living in the lap of Mango luxury.

Good Luck, sound like a nice "life adventure"

Cheers

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mango Farms in South Nicoya?

Many mango farmers are converting their orchards to housing developments, if this is any clue to you. As Inca said, not much money in it. Why mangos, I wonder? Why not avocados or papayas or bananas?

Frankly, not a really smart idea to think in terms of buying any kind of farm in Costa Rica with the idea of making money at it. It's tough, just like everywhere else, and Costa Ricans have the in-depth knowledge and experience that you don't have.

You might also ask this question at the ARCR (Association of Residents of Costa Rica) forum. Lots of expats participate in that forum.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,427 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mango Farms in South Nicoya?

I saw a big sign FOR SALE in a mango plantation getting into Liberia...

You can also check around OROTINA!

roadadvisor

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mango Farms in South Nicoya?

Hattie,

Can you grow bananas in this region? Most banana plantations that I have seen are on the east coast. I would prefer to buy a coffee farm but I am fairly sure you can only grow coffee inland in the mountains. I would like to purchase a existing large scale plantation. I want to grow what is going to make me the most money, it doesn't have to be a mango farm. I'm just starting research now and I am not to educated on farms in Costa Rica yet. I have a connection in the distribution of agriculture in FloridaI that is why I have been inquiring. He said magos are a profitable fruit. If you have any other better ideas of what to grow for a higher profit I am all ears.

Thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mango Farms in South Nicoya?

Really this is not a good topic for a long discussion in a tourism forum. You would be better off to head on over to the ARCR where you can get lots of good information and feedback on this topic.

6. Re: Mango Farms in South Nicoya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 16:18