We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

Atlanta, Georgia
7 posts
Save Topic
Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

I've been to Montezuma a couple times and absolutely love it. My husband and I are planning our next trip for Feb 2012 and are considering staying in Mal Pais this time.

Can anyone tell me what the differences in these towns are?

We normally stay at Amor de Mar and walk everywhere in Montezuma. Avoiding a rental car would be best if possible.

We are considering staying at La Hacienda in Mal Pais.

Thanks!

Canopy del Pacifico Mal Pais
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Jobbie's Long Boards
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

As you know Montezuma is very compact and easy to walk everywhere - Mal Pais/Santa Teresa are spread out along a 3 mile road that fronts the beach. The road is pretty dusty to walk on during the dry season.

Having a car is nice, especially if you want to go out for dinner or drinks at night

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

Sean420 hit it on the head!

La Hacienda is close to the beach, but the beach in Mal Pais is very rocky. For a real beach, you have to walk about 10 minutes along the beach north toward Santa Teresa and get onto Playa Carmen to be on a beautiful beach which then stretches for miles and miles.

La Hacienda is not really close to many restaurants, so you will need some type of transportation to get around, either bicycle, quad or vehicle.

If you are looking for a location that is close to the beautiful beaches, close to a multitude of restaurants and stores, you should consider staying somewhere in Santa Teresa. That way, you will not need a vehicle.

This side of the peninsula has the best sunsets!!! Mal Pais/Santa Teresa is much more spread out and not congested like Montezuma. Most accommodations are close to or right on the beach. There is a large choice of accommodation and restaurants for every budget.

Atlanta, Georgia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

Thanks so much for both your replies!

It sounds like Santa Teresa may be a better option for us.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

Check out Tropical Latino hotel. Right on the beach and walking distance to many restaurants, grocery and farmacy. Agree with others that La Hacienda is a little too far to walk to anything, but I did like staying there. Nice place.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

Two lovely areas...that is the only thing I can said...

roadadvisor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

where did you end up staying?

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

As said, Sean C got it right - Montezuma is very small & compact, everywhere is walkable

Malpais/Sta Teresa is long & drawn out.

The advantage is that it is a flat road, so a bicycle is a perfectly good option

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

I just got back from there and I wouldn't stay in mal pais unless i had a car. We stayed at the Zula Aparthotel and it was great. But no, it isn'';t nearly as compact at Montezuma. Montezuma was pretty hoppin and seems to have quiet the nightlife. Santa Theresa was relaxed and we ended up just relaxing after dinner and not going out at all.

Santa theresa had many groceries and restaurants within a short walk but mal pais really has nothing except some lodging and tucked away restaurants and the fish camp.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

Thank you...agree get ready to some nice long walks...

roadadisor

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Difference between Montezuma and Mal Pais

Yes the major difference is how compact Montezuma is. Malpais/Sta Teresa, you at least need a bicycle to get around, but at least on the main street it is flat terrain

Get answers to your questions about Mal Pais
Recent Conversations