We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Which Mal Pais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental

My wife and I are heading to Mal Pais next week, and we want to rent a car to get around. Do we really a 4 x 4 during the dry season, or would a sedan work? We would be renting the vehicle in Tambor and driving to Mal Pais where we are staying, and we don't plan on driving very far otherwise. We will definitely be on the southern end of the peninsula for the week.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,281 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

You will be fine with a regular car...I drove there about a week ago...not problema with a sedan in good condition!

roadadvisor

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

I doubt you will even find something less than a 4x4 to rent in Tambor or Mal Pais/Santa Teresa. The rental car agency knows the area and how beat up a sedan would get and likely doesn't even have any on their rental pool ....you could get the least expensive 4x4 which would be a Jimny. The roads down here are in fairly good condition right now, but I would say you still need the clearance that a 4x4 has compared to a sedan....you really don't want to lose an oil pan or bang up the underside of a car. When you get down here and start driving around, you will know what I am talking about.....

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

I have a 4x4 , but rarely use it, normally getting by with 2 wheel drive, but I am happy to have it, in case.

The roads right now are rough but dry,so probably a sedan would be okay. Drive slowly in rough parts. If you are at all worried, get the 4x4. But one word of advcie is to ge a high clearance vehicle, that is probably more important than 4x4.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

We drove a Terios while we were there. We were based in Santa Teresa and drove do montezuma and the zip line tour there (scary but exhilerating!). There's a National Park that I forget the name of. Go early as it closes between 3-4. Also, over there is an animal rescue place called rainsong something or other. Call ahead!

roads are dirt and by dirt they mean full of rocks from volcanoes past. The Terios was great and it seems to be quite popular around there.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

The Park is Cabo Blanco - it's not national park, but a private nature resevre - lovely none the the less..

Rainsong is more a tourist attraction for profit than an animal rescue center

Roads are rocky, but if you take if easy, you should be finec

6. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2013, 10:18