We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buena Luna restaurant

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Buena Luna restaurant

Just returned from Costa Rica. One of my favorite restaurants in Costa Rica was in Mal Pais called Buena Luna. It is new, 2 mos. old. Owned by a beautiful young couple from Spain and Argentina. It is an Israeli falafel restaurant. Best falafels I have ever had and I use to live near Dearborn MI. We were a big group and between us all we tried everything. All wonderful. They have a pool table and will do whatever they can to make you happy. If you are visiting the St. Teresa/Mal Pais area try and stop by.

Canopy del Pacifico Mal Pais
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Jobbie's Long Boards
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Buena Luna restaurant

Just my point of view and what I am comfortable with as a mother, and what MY kids would be comfortable with. Different strokes for different folks. What I love about tripadvisor are the independent views from travelers, and then I can make up my own mind. When I travel half the fun is planning the trip. I also like to be prepared especially when I have my kids with me.

MY KIDS would have driven me crazy in the van ride from the ferry to Mal Pais. I am sure others have better behaved kids who could handle the ride , and or have more tolerance than I do. If you take the taxi boat to and from Jaco then no problems, that would be alot of fun for my kids. Unfortunatley for us we didn't figure that part out until we had gotten to Mal Pais. Luckily for us it was a large group of women, no kids and plenty of beer in the van from the ferry to MP.

I have high tech kids that wouldn't have enjoyed the tech free world of Mal Pais for more than 2 nights. They also enjoy meeting other kids on vacation, and I didn't see many other kids around for them to play with. I am sure it depends on where you stay. When my kids get older they will love haning out at surf camp all day and on Wednesday nights, but for now they would be bored.

As far as the ocean and surf, if you have kids that will stay along the shore than I am sure they will be fine. Unfortunately my kids love to push the limits and go out just a bit further than I tell them. I wouldn't have been able to relax on the beach with them in the strong waves. We were able to swim in the ocean, but had to walk about a mile down the beach, past surf camp, and had to wait for the right tide level. Even then we had to deal with strong rips. I use to not mind getting caught in the "washing machine" when I was younger, but I am getting too old for that. MA does have strong waves as well, but , according to the sufers, usually not as strong as MP. Good or bad I guess depends on your ocean skills.

We looked at renting ATVs in MP, but none of us trusted ourselves or each other. Again it was just our comfort level. We have done it in the past in other areas of the world and in Costa Rica, but were not up for it in MP.

Obviously people do these things all the time and have no problems. 2 of the women with us live in Costa Rica and we have a male friend who lives on the Penninsula so I had gotten an earful of stuff that goes on, which made us more cautious than we probably would have been. Before our trip to MP we were told there had been 6 deaths, 5 of the deaths were from ocean drownings.

Here are 3 examples of what we personally saw while we were there on the roads in MP.

-A guy ran his car off the road into the ditch trying to avoid another car. No one was hurt but he figured it would take days before someone could help him get it out.

-A surfer girl was on the back of an ATV and her boy friend hit a pot hole and she fell off the back. We were told the closest x-ray machine was back over the ferry- 4 to 5 hours away.

-A little boy (6 or 7) and his dad were on the side of the road with their puppy, it was hit by a car right in front of us all, and killed. The car didn't stop. Besides our group and the little boy, people were not very upset.

Saying all this I still loved Mal Pais and want to go back. It is a wonderful place. The question was weather or not it is a good place for kids. My opinion is it depends on what kind of kids you have, how long you want to stay, and what you are comfortable having your kids do.

Hope you have a wonderful trip with your family,

from an overprotective mom

12. Re: Buena Luna restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 00:20
Get answers to your questions about Mal Pais
Recent Conversations