We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House rental location

Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
House rental location

Hi. Our family (2 adults and 13 yr old girl and 16 yr old boy) are planning to spend the week after Christmas in the Mal Pais area. With 2 teens, would you recommend renting a house in Mal Pais, Montezuma or Cabuya? We will have a vehicle to travel around with (maybe 2 ATVs?). Also, any ideas on family friendly New Year's Eve activities? In the evenings, I imagine that activities would include bonfires on the beach, eating out, listening local music, etc. We like to have more authentic experiences rather then an all inclusive type experiences. Our children have travelled quite extensively and are adventurous. Before arriving in the Mal Pais Rea, we are going on a 2 day river rafting trip on the Pacura River and spending some time down in Drake Bay. So, this is the laid back part of our trip! I found the Pachamama House in Mail Pais and the Newville house in Cabuya. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Southern California
Level Contributor
37 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: House rental location

My vote is for Mal Pais. The road between Mal Pais and Santa Teresa is filled with plenty of options for entertainment. Montezuma isn't far to explore by day - we've done that with a car, not ATVs.........

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: House rental location

Without having to go and search for the links to these places you are looking at, can you please supply a link to each?

Did you find them on VRBO? or another site?

What is your budget?

Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House rental location

Hi. I just used googled - http://www.pacha-malpais.com. And - costa-rica-house-for-rent

Our budget hasn't been firmly set yet $1000-1500.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 22:55
Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: House rental location

Thank you.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: House rental location

If you are looking at beach - type of activities and you would prefer to be renting a place on the beach, perhaps you should look at the north end of Santa Teresa, or a bit farther up the same beach to Playa Hermosa or Playa Manzanillo. The beach in Mal Pais is rocky and most parts are not swimable.

Here is a good site with info. on the areas mentioned: www.nicoyapeninsula.com

VRBO/Homeaway is a good place to look for rentals to expand your choices a bit.

Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: House rental location

Thank ou for your help.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: House rental location

How much time you will spend at Drake Bay?

Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: House rental location

4-5 days I think. Still in the planning stages. Just checking out Finca Maresia. My daughter wants to see dolphins in the wild.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: House rental location

Good choice! There is a beautiful place, just for the weather the best way to get there could be by an airplane. Costa Rica have good airlines and they specially fly there and the route is amazing.

Tambor, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: House rental location

Tambor area is the #1 family destination in the south part of the nicoya peninsula.

highly recommend it