We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulemar or Los Altos

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tulemar or Los Altos

We will be staying 3 nights/4 days in MA next March. Narrowed down hotel choices to Tulemar Bungalows and Los Altos base on 3 criteria - kid friendly (travelling with 5 year old), price less than $500-600/nt, and private beach. I understand these are very different properties. I had my mind set on Tulemar bungalows despite some concerns about "dated furnishings" described by some reviews. Then a friend pointed out that we will be in MA after staying 4 nights at Nayara in Arenal and perhaps the expectations will be hard to reset. We also have never stayed in privately owned condos before so a little bit uneasy about possible variations in interiors of the bungalows. I appreciate everything I've read here by Tulemar Dave and certainly don't want to offend him :) Just want to choose a place that's the right fit for my family. Perhaps I need to get rid of the "private beach" criteria? Are the public beaches easy to get to (we won't have a car)? Any advice would be much appreciated! Open to suggestions on other properties. TIA!

15 replies to this topic
Mohrsville...
Level Contributor
241 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulemar or Los Altos

Ok ... here's the deal ...... the two properties you mentioned are NOT comparable..... and your budget does allow you to choose a step above a bungalow at Tulemar.... That's where you want to be ...... Check their site for more modern amenities.... But we loved the bungalows as well as the other casas .... the key is making sure you are staying in Tulemar .... Villa mot mot is fabulous... Vista Del Mar just as good in my opinion ... both with outside decks .... if you want a little more modern and spacious try Casa Mirador or Casa Panorama ... so many options .... but it's not the units that define this place .... it's the amenities.... Private beach ... tons or wildlife .... personal concierge ... 4 pools ... awesome restaurant .... views to die for ... and walking distance to many restaurants and bars .... Tulemar is the place you want to be .... and super kid friendly ! .... My kids can't get enough .... 6 times for us !

Edited: 24 August 2017, 23:22
NJ
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulemar or Los Altos

Just got back from 3 nights in Tulemar, and it was our favorite accomodations in Costa Rica! The restaurant is delicious - breakfast, lunch and dinner. The private beach was ideal, and well maintained, and the wildlife was abundant. We even saw a baby sloth by our bungalow. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulemar or Los Altos

Wow. $600.00 per night. Maybe for some price is no object but I have rented a private home with a pool in a secure gated community for $600.00 per WEEK in Dominical which is much less touristic than MA. I have met Tulemar Dave and he is a great guy and I am sure it is an amazing spot, but way out of the price range of average folks.

Edited: 25 August 2017, 00:37
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulemar or Los Altos

Thanks BIGMIKE! I guess I'm a little confused. I sent two inquiry emails, one to Tulemar bungalows and one to Tulemar resort. The only options I received for my dates within my price range were for the bungalow or standard room. I'll inquire again. Tulemar Dave- which website should I go to inquire about the room categories BIGMIKE mentioned? Thanks!

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulemar or Los Altos

Hi Chun F.....first.....thanks to everyone for all the wonderful comments on Tulemar.....it is much appreciated......next.....tulemar.com is the web site for all the special and unique properties in Tulemar.....like the ones mentioned by BIGMIKE7375......and the Tulemar Bungalows and Buena Vista Villas too.....I actually see your inquiry that came in last night.....so you hit the right one.....I also understand the lack of options....your dates are during Easter Week......so first the properties are priced at holiday rates....and secondly.....most of the popular accommodations require a 7 night stay during that time period......if you can stay prior to March 23 we have lots of space open....on a nightly basis......but the holiday weeks fill quickly......we'll get back to you this AM on exactly what is open for your dates.....you can then "chat" right on our web site.....with our res team for any other questions.....I hope things work out for you! Oh....you certainly didn't offend me about the Bungalows.....I describe them on our web site....along with photos....exactly the way they are......about 30 years old.....quirky....rustic in design.....octagon shaped....windows all around.....perched on the hillside and surrounded by jungle with amazing ocean views.....kind of like a tree house with AC.....lol.....clean and well maintained.....you will experience Costa Rica....definitely not a "Holiday Inn" type of room.....but we also have accommodations that are brand new and super luxurious like the Tulemar Bamboo Villas......and the 3 and 4 bedroom villas with private pools.....something for everyone in Tulemar!

Tulemar Dave

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulemar or Los Altos

Los Altos is a perfect option for families traveling with kids! The 3 bedroom condos leave plenty of room for everyone to spread out but keep everyone close at the same time.

The pool is Los Altos is much bigger and has a great kids pool as well as poolside drinks and snacks all day. There are also some great hiking trails at Los Altos, leading to 3 smaller beaches, and Los Altos is a bit closer the main public beach and the National Park, as well a super short walk to the areas best restaurants. As well, Los Altos is usually a little less expensive than Tulemar.

Mohrsville...
Level Contributor
241 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulemar or Los Altos

Yep .. my bad ... didn't notice that was Easter week .... usually that budget gets you upgraded from a bungalow ...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulemar or Los Altos

Simple answer….TULEMAR..

roadadvsor

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulemar or Los Altos

Thanks everyone for your input! Tulemar Dave reached out and made special arrangements to accommodate us at Tulemar. Thank you Tulemar Dave for going above and beyond! We are looking forward to our stay at Tulemar!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulemar or Los Altos

So nice….Dave is a great person…and the best advisor around Manuel Antonio…you will love Tulemar and the people that works there//

roadadvisor

Reply to: Tulemar or Los Altos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio