We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 yo zip lining?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 yo zip lining?

Is 5 too young to zip line? Will be in MA next March and just wondering if there is an age requirement for zip lining? Too risky for young kids? Cautious child but claims she wants to do it.

Mulguri Waterfalls and Horseback...
62 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Manuel Antonio Sailing Tour with...
52 Reviews
from US$85.00*
Free Cancellation
Savegre River Whitewater Rafting Trip
4 Reviews
from US$95.00*
Free Cancellation
6 replies to this topic
Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 yo zip lining?

There are several different zip line companies in the area.....we always use Canopy Safari....and have for over 15 years......in situations like this....have your concierge talk directly to the company once you are here......explain the situation......and get their advice.....safety is first......but I have seen them take kids that young.....they are great with little ones.....and older ones that may be frightened.....but don't go with any company just because they will take your child.....again....your concierge or house manager will be very important here.

Tulemar Dave

Mentioned in this post
Canopy Safari
Canopy Safari
1,051 Reviews
Quepos, Costa Rica
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Tulemar Bungalows...
2,776 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,588 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 yo zip lining?

I ziplined in CR and in other places. I think 5 yrs old is way too young. Though in some cases, a guide would jump on a zipline and go with the kids, though possibly not that young. It is not just the age, but the weight and the ability to figure out when and how hard to break. Lots of ppl enjoy this activity. But...We had an adult, a woman picked up by the same tour bus we were on, getting seriously hurt when we were ziplining, she did not slow down enough and slammed into a tree/next platform, was lowered and taken away in an ambulance, which came right away, surprisingly fast, like it had been waiting around the corner. It was the last time we want to zipline anywhere.

This site gives you some idea of age requirements / recommendations for different CR activities: costa-rica-guide.com/travel/…

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,669 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 yo zip lining?

Great advice by Dave….IMO the best you can do is visit the tour locations and talk to operators…never go by the age requirements…not all the kids 5 YO are the same…but I think 5YO is a little to young…my personal opinion

roadadvisor

Mohrsville...
Level Contributor
235 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 yo zip lining?

3 years ago we used Canopy Safari and took our 4 and 6 year olds .. it worked out perfectly ... Not sure about other companies..... but Canopy was super safe and had equipment to fit small children .. Go for it ... you'll be fine ...

Mentioned in this post
Canopy Safari
Canopy Safari
1,051 Reviews
Quepos, Costa Rica
Denver, Colorado
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 yo zip lining?

Do some research online to see what companies are around, then call and talk to a knowledgeable staff person or course manager. The age/weight limit varies course to course and takes many factors into account when determining those numbers. I agree that just because a company will take the child, doesn't mean they should go. There are a lot of companies these days that have specific courses just for kids, so you'll likely find something. Good luck!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
670 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 yo zip lining?

I checked with our friend who works at the Montezuma zipline on the Nicoya peninsula. He said that the minimum age is 4.

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Reply to: 5 yo zip lining?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted